Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi i Have a renualt Laguna dynaminqe IDE petrol 2lt 5/11/02

Customer Question

hi i Have a renualt Laguna dynaminqe IDE petrol 2lt 5/11/02 and after i brought it. i had parked it up at daughters and when i went to drive it .. it kept cutting out and engine lights up and spanner light then i would have to wait to continue a short distance.. well i dip the oil and found over filled.. so i drainned some out and it runs..but limited revs and there are lights on dash one a flat tyre sign top right in orange then two in middle one like a coil heater plug on a desiel there is also a spanner light.. do i need to get it reset at renaults. please
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

Have you had any plug in tests done at all for these issues - and if so, with what results?

Rgds, MIKE..............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no mike have not taken for plug in, because i brought it and it sat at my daughters.in front gardenas kept cutting out and.... as no tax.. so to drive on road it cuts out each time .. it's like limiter and it rev ok briefly and lights went out on it .....it run for ages on idling.. but then its come with lights on the dash.. engine red light to day and like a coil light,, and spanner sign by mileometer.. now again it. wont rev today then it cuts out mike `

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Gary - sorry I missed you last eve..

Okay - with this - the first thing to mention is that you have seemingly different circuit issues / seemingly unrelated to each other...as indicated by the lights. It is very common on these models for them to get water / rain into the fuse boxes - either in the engine bay or even inside under the dash. When they get such water in, that will short and "connect" "different" circuits and give you such odd issues - inc the cutting out. So - given that this is happening - the first thing to do is thoroughly check for any signs of such wet - and go from there... If you find such - it needs thoroughly drying and then the leak curing - hoping no permanent damage has been done ( it does happen but yours doesnt sound too bad )

If its not the above - then the next thing to do is try a re set of the systems - you can do this to a point yourself. To do this - have the key ( card ) out of the car - disconnect the two battery cables..then connect them together..wire together.. and leave like that for 30 mins - Then disconnect them and reattach to the battery...and then see how it is.

Often this will cure module glitches - so is always worth doing. If there is a "fault" on one, it will need Renault diagnostic help - but try that as above first.

The other thing is to check the connections of the wiring - the earths especially both on the engine and the body of the car. Too - pay real close attention to the wiring looms - they are known to rub / chaff on the metal parts of the engine - brackets etc and will cause such odd electrical issues...

So work through as above on this one Gary...That is all that you can do without proper test equipment but there is every chance you will find the fault this way.

Too - ensure that the battery is good condition - and that its charging correctly as its should... ( Its should show circa 14.6 v on test running ) If its a lot less ( or more.. 14.7 or higher ) then there are alternator / battery issues - again - either will spike the electrics and cause what you have. Let me know how you get on.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.