Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a clio 1.2 16v 2002 model. I broke down about a week

Customer Question

I have a clio 1.2 16v 2002 model. I broke down about a week ago and since then the car will not start. I have had RAC homestart to look at it and they could not solve it. I seem to think it could be ecu unit. have you any idea what it could be?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mikdermoose :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

Mikdermoose :

My name is MIKE - How can I be of help ?

Mikdermoose :

...

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

I have a clio 1.2 16v 2002 and it will not start, have tried everything I can and it still will not start.

Mikdermoose :

Hello there - Can you tell me - does the engine have a spark at the plugs when tested - or fuel coming up and being injected - or not?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

Yes, they are working fine. RAC checked this and the petrol pump, starting motor, immobiliser are fine.

Mikdermoose :

OK - if the engine has a proper spark at the plugs - and it has fuel up to the engine at the correct pressure - and it is injecting fuel - then the engine has every chance of firing if not running- so, something in the above has to have been missed. How exactly did the car "break down" ?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

I have had problems with the throttle body and before it broke down the engine was revving high and low on its own and when i tried to drive I could not because there seemed to be no power the accelerator and I could not drive it. I turned the ignition off and then restarted it and it revved high for a few seconds and just cut out. since that happened it will not start, it turns over and splutters but thats it.

Mikdermoose :

Ok - what is the mileage on the car - ? and do you have any fault warn lights on when its running?

Mikdermoose :

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

only 81,000 orange square light with wave going through it was coming on, which is an electrical fault.

Mikdermoose :

Indeed yes-- Has anyone plugged on proper diagnostic equipment to get the results ?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

I took it to Renault a couple of months ago and the diagnosed throttle body and wiring loom. I got re conditioned part from a renault spares yard. The car has been running fine until a week ago then the orange light came back on.

Mikdermoose :

Ok but has anyone - such as the RAC etc - actually plugged in diag equipment to the cars OBD socket to get the fault codes out of the engine management ecu?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

Yes and according to RAC diag equip the car engine was running but obviously it is not. so they seem to think that the ecu has shut down for some reason and will not let it start..

Mikdermoose :

Ok- I know you mentioned the immobilser has been "checked" - but same as the other items above, it has to be somthing there - so how has the immobilser been checked exactly - ?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

I am not sure sorry.

Mikdermoose :

thats ok - Im just trying to narrow things down for you - You know the light for the immobilser - does that flash rapidly when you try to start the engine?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

when I turn ignition on it goes off...

Mikdermoose :

Ok - and doesn't flash rapidly when you crank the engine??

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

It stays off..

Mikdermoose :

Ok - thank you .. and does the engine crank over ok - as it should?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

I would say yes, it just fails to go that little bit extra to start.

Mikdermoose :

right - and you definitly have a spark at all four plugs?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

Yes.

Mikdermoose :

Ok.. and you have fuel to the engine... and its being injected ? ie, all four plugs getting wet with petrol?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

I think so.

Mikdermoose :

Ok -you can see where Im trying to get here ;).. it has to have one of these things not right - but - just before that... has the timing belt been checked?

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

RAC checked that. Shall I take the plugs out and check them?

Mikdermoose :

It would be a good idea yes - but after several cranks of the engine so that the injection system works - or tries to - then after several cranks - take the plugs out as fast as you can - and check them. They should be wet with fuel.

Mikdermoose :

If they are not - check the supply is good to the fuel rail - if its not - then either there is a blockage / restricting presure, fuel filter / pump issue etc.

Mikdermoose :

If it is ok - then the electrics to the injectors need to be checked.

JACUSTOMER-1brx1ig9- :

Ok I will try this. I have to leave the site now.

Mikdermoose :

Thats fine - You can get back to me any time you might need / as you work - Im always happy to help more if you need. Please just click on the OK ratings system before you go off now for me - Thank you...

Mikdermoose :

Then if you do need to come back to me - just come back here, type your reply - and I will get back to you as soon as I receive it.

Mikdermoose :

Hello again...

Mikdermoose :

I see you have clicked on the Poor service rating.. I assume this is a mistake..?

Mikdermoose :

Mikdermoose :

............. It appears you have gone off line. When you come back on , please get back to me re the above rating - Thank you.