Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

1999 renault Espace transmission fliud level

Customer Question

Category: Renault
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello.

Mark :

Can you tell me the engine size and if this is an automatic or manual gearbox?

JACUSTOMER-ahpijdzm- :

I was was not allowed to ask the actual question yet! Before I gave my details the web page said I could give further details after. Please decline this question if you do not know the answer. I am asking a very spesific question!

JACUSTOMER-ahpijdzm- :

The car is a 1999 2.0ltr petrol espace with an AD8 auto transmission. This is not the later type with a duel purpose level/drain plug. There is a plugged dip tube with no dip stick. I know the handbook says refer to dealer. My question is how can the fluid level be checked.

JACUSTOMER-ahpijdzm- :

WHAT IS HAPPENING? WHY NO RESPONSE?

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shantal

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wait a little while if you are able to find someone else.

any thanks

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will continue to search for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Thank you for asking justanswer for your automotive problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this issue .

The DP0 automatic transmission
is lubricated for life
, it does not require any maintenance.
All that is required is for the level to be topped up in the event a slight leak.
Specified oil:
ELF RENAULTMATIC D3 SYN (to be ordered from ELF)
Standard DEXRON III.

graphic

graphic

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please read the question THIS IS NOT A DPO TRANSMISSION

it takes dexron 11 not 111 with a DPO transmission the level can be checked via the drain/level plug. this DOES NOT HAVE THAT.

ALL DEXRON 111 IS THE SAME BY THE WAY.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

I did read the question Sir, but forgot to mension the AD8 is the basically the same system . has a double bolt the inner is to be removed when checking the transmission
fluid , please use the Dexron III is a upgrade that you can use .
Don't worry its the same system as said .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou Greg

I don't mean to be rude but this transmission has a pressed steel sump with two SINGLE plugs in it which is why I am having the problem.

Steve

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi steve .

Is the sump black and on the bottom of the transmission and not on the side .

And is there a square plug on the pan or a 17mm bolt in a 24mm bolt

The Ad4 and AD8 are basically the same box ..

Please recheck and let me know .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg

Yes the sump is on the bottom (actually there is one on the back and one on the side as well) it will have been painted but is just rust now. The plugs are both 1/2" thread with internal recess, One square and one triangle (I think) I will have to check but I won't be able to get back to you till tomorrow. I apreciate your effots thanks.

Steve

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi the square bolt you have to remove , this will bee the one where the 24 mm has a smaller bolt in the middle the inner bolt you remove to check .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Greg that is not correct THERE IS NO SMALLER BOLT IN THE MIDDLE. the square plug is only 18mm dia. I have now found an answer on the Renault forum. The triangular plug is the level plug. Thanks for your efforts but this is one that you must not have come across and I will have to rate the answer below satisfactory.

Steve

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
This is strange could you post a pic for me Steve .

Cheers Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sure greg If you can give me a day or two to get a chance to do it. I will also send you a link to the forum where I found out the answer.

All the best

Steve

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Sure no problem .as this should be as i said, or you have another type transmission .

When you removed the bolt was the a long tube on it as normally this is the fluid check tube and when you remove the outter bolt its the drain bolt .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg I have now solved my problem. Here are links to a renault manual that shows the level plug in the AD8 box further down is a reference to the oil type (Dextron 11)

Also a link to Total site warning against using D111 synth.

So hope you understand that I have to mark you down so that I don't have to pay.

Best regards

Steve