Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

A warning light and "SERVICE", came on some days ago, I checked

Customer Question

A warning light and "SERVICE", came on some days ago, I checked the driver's handbook, which said " Toxic fume filter system warning light,contact your Renault dealer a.s.a.p."

Not having a nearby Renault dealer, and local garage not able to give sensible advice, what should I do, and is it dangerous to keep driving?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What engine does it have?

How does the vehicle perform at the moment since the warning flagged up?

You say you had taken it to a local garage - do you know what checks they did or have done already or has anything been replaced upto now?

What sort of mileage does it have and whats it service history?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car has the 16 valve Dynamique engine.

The performance at the time and since has been normal

I do not have a full service history. I bought the car at auction in March this year., and immediately had a full service carried out. It has been trouble free until recent warning light. It also passed the MOT in July

Mileage was 51,900 at purchase, 54,400 now

The garage I took it to checked it with a diagnostic machine, which said the fault was actually in the camshaft timing, and replaced the camshaft position sensor, and re-set the fault codes, On the way home the warning light came on again. The following day they re-set the fault codes, but one day later the light came on again,

The car actually runs well, and although I took a chance on buying a car at auction, I have been very happy with it.

I look forward to hearing from you

Paul

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back..

Depending what the actual fault code was then it could be related to the Dephaser Pulley.they must also check to be sure the fault isnt with wiring to to cam sensor or crank sensor as crank sensor are a fairly common issue - I would also check with the engine running and listen to timing side of the engine and listen for any rattling/unusual noises from the Camshaft Dephaser Pulley/control solinoid "timing side" usually this shows up during the first start of the engine when cold until of course the oil is sent up so certainly have that checked..If the codes are timing related or the timing shifting then it would be worth checking up on- also to when the timing belt was last done mileage etc just to be sure..Its really case of checking the above next based on what the faults are the cars ecu is registering in which you will need to have done again..its shouldnt be dangerous to drive in the mean time but its vital you do have it checked asap..especially so if its timing belt related as any failure of that will cause even more expense if the belt does break or the dephaser pulley fails..I do hope this helps..you can also try this site if prefered for any local garages that maybe be able to help further http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/