Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 1998 Clio 1.6 rxe. its been serviced and new plugs

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Clio 1.6 rxe. its been serviced and new plugs fitted.Only done 40,000 miles but economy is like low 20's in town 40 at best. ive tried oil and fuel additives as suggested
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE.. Im happy to help you..

Can I just clarify - is this a petrol or diesel ? I see you say you have had new "plugs" fitted - but that could be spark plugs - or diesel glow plugs - ?

Plus - if spark plugs- were they gapped when fitted?

Too - do you have any fault lights on the dash while driving?

Do the brakes feel to drag at all - ?

Rgds, MIKE..........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, dont know how to use this service. its petrol 1.6rxe reg is s216amr

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply,. Thats ok - I see you replied opening a new duplicate question - that has been closed - I have your reply above..

Can I just ask again then re the spark plugs - did you gap them? Did you fit them or the garage / who did the service?

Too - what about the brakes?

Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A mechanic friend of mine did service. i gave him all the bits, but was not there when done. brakes tend to scrape a bit (first thing) but stop once brake been applied few times. airbag light on, on dash.

revs are fairly steady on idle.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tej - thank you for that info..

The air bag light being on wont have any effect on the mpg.

That is a point with the idle revs -if they are high or erratic - that can be a cause... make sure its ticking over at around 750 or so rpm... any thing higher than 900 means its either not set up right or you have an inlet air leak on the engine.

Given you have not fault lights on the dash for the engine management system, then its not likely you have any management fault codes - but it would be worth having them checked - just in case - as that can help you...

Re the plugs - when new plugs come in the box - often they need the gaps checking -and often mechs these days dont do it - not if they "look" right - but its important to have those checked...

Also - ensure the engine is running fine as it should - not rough / missing at all - if it is - that will cause high mpg.

Now - other than that - the basics, I will give you a check list that working through, your mech should be able to find and cure the cause of your high mpg - that is as follows for you:

Air intake system/vacuum system - blockage
Engine management system - connections/wiring/relays
Condition of fuel/fuel filter
Fuel pump/connections
Fuel pressure/delivery rate/fuel pressure regulator
Injectors
Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
Throttle position (TP) sensor
Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S)
Throttle valve/sticking/linkage
Knock sensor (KS)
Engine control module (ECM)

Working through the list as above, the problem should be found / cured as it will be one or more of those issues.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Tej -

Im just following up on my reply to you to your problem with your Clio - wondering how you are getting on - but I note you haven't at this stage viewed my answer for you as yet - So its there above showing for you. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kind Rgds. MIKE.