Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

07 Renault trafic semi auto problem Clutch jerky only when

Customer Question

07 Renault trafic semi auto problem
Clutch jerky only when cold
Plugged in and faults cleared:- 16 open circuit faults to virtually every sensor/ solenoid/ switch connected to gearbox( maybe from previous work?)
Drives better after fault clearance but still a bit erratic on clutch bite
Mechanic Suspects clutch wear?
120k miles can't find out if its already had a clutch
Def connected to temperature( the colder the worse it is once warmed up ok)
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi will give it 1 week to see if you can find anyone familiar with this vehicle/ gearbox... Cheers terry
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Terry - and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question.

Let me just ask to start us off - do you have any fault lights on at all when this happens?

Too - after the fault code clearance - were the codes re checked after a drive.. and if so - do you have any current codes?

Rgds - MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike van doesn't have any warning lights on.. Gearbox faults are indicated by a buzzer and flashing gearbox symbol.. I have neither of these.. Yes fault codes were checked after test drive- none.. However test drive was only done with van up to temp.. I phoned the guy up this morning to suggest he check them again as it was still a little jerky.. Although nowhere near as bad... Have done 60 miles in van today.. From cold I can adjust my driving style for reasonable gear changes... When warm I have also noticed when I stop the vehicle at the end of my outgoing journey then when I restart my return journey the gear changes are fine...
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and info there..

Yes thats what I meant by way of warn lights - So you dont have any -and that is usually somewhat telling as to the fault in reverse.

These fault systems are very good - they will flash a fault / buzzer etc if its electronic in any way inc wiring and so on - so I strongly suspect, given too that you say this is somewhat "heat" related, that it is indeed mechanical.

What tends to happen is that the clutch plate sticks either just on the splines or onto the plate surfaces - again heat related - and that causes your judder. Sometimes you can get it to work better in these circumstances by selecting other gears first - then the gear you require.. but thats only a help .. It is going to need to be stripped and checked and more than likely , clutch system renewed Im afraid. When its all down it could be cleaned up thoroughly etc to cure the sticking and so on - but its a big job - ie, transmission off etc - it makes sense really top renew the working components at the same time..espeically as its done that mileage too.. So thats the way forward on this one given what you have outlined to get this sorted for you..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Surely.any sticking of the plate would cause problems engaging gear... I have no prob engaging gear ... Sticking splines could be a possibility but I would have thought gear changes / selection would be a problem..what about the fault codes?.. Also there is no judder .. Just that the clutch drops like a manual clutch would if your foot slipped off it... Also in creep in heavy trafic for long periods at very slow speed in 1st/ /2nd gear it is perfect ...even when cold.. It's just the initial clutch bite when cold
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply..

Sticking of the plate is one option I mentioned - mechanical wear and tear - deformation etc of the plate and so on are others - all of which will cause this - but the only way to tell is as I have outlined - but the symptoms are there.

Further, sticking etc as mentioned tends to generally affect the first and often reverse gears due to the ratios of the transmission - speed .

The fault codes can be caused by a knock on effect - of the mechanical issues but your extra info there above -in your reply - that of the clutch creep etc...would actually tend to indicate master cylinder faults.

Given you are at the stage of asking here, I would have thought your mechanic as you mentioned would have checked the above - thus bringing us to the conclusions above - but you need to check the master cylinder as above.. these symptoms were also common on these models with a faulty master cylinder on other models in the Renault range. So be sure of that first then only if you / he is sure , would you progress to the clutch itself.

Just a note on the clutch codes - I was thinking you have had those cleared - If not, and in any event - the proper way to carry out a fault code diagnosis is to read the codes - note them - clear them - re drive the vehicle - re read to see if their are any codes coming back. That way you know if you have current - not historical codes as you suspected.. So if thats not been done, that should be done. It is common to have wiring loom / connector faults - breaks in the cables inside the insulation - and chaff damage to the cables on these models. Again, I was thinking these would have all been checked by now by your mechanic as you have been having it looked at - but of not, then that should be also checked.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the OK/ Excellent ratings for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's unfortunate but I haven't found a mechanic who is interested in sorting this problem... Understand that they can make there money just changing spark plugs as it were,but the one who read the fault codes wasn't interested in getting seriously involved (he actually gave me someone elses number to change the clutch)and he's not the first and I'm sure not the last either
I will send you a list of the fault codes...
Oh ... what I meant by clutch creep is that the clutch is perfect when having to cope with continuous changes to speed( stop/start edging forward in heavy trafic ) wouldn't have thought it could do that .. When it can't cope with a single action when first used cold
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

I understand what you are saying - it sounds like he is just not interested in it at all - --

What I have done is give you answers in line with what I have read / what you have written. Obviously I cannot be there to check it for you - I can only tell you in line with what you tell me -

By all means send me the fault codes yes - but after you have deleted them all first and done it as I outlined above -otherwise you can be seriously misled... so do that , Im happy to look at that with you ..

Please dont forget the OK ratings for me - you can come back to me anytime -and carry on as much as needed - as I mentioned above, clicking the OK ratings does not close you out - even though I know it says click to finish.. you can get back to me as much as you need.

Best Rgds. MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Word for word off diagnostic check 16 faults stored
Open circuit faults for lever position/clutch position/selection and engagement position/ oil pressure/starter relay/clutch and selection solenoids
Mechanical faults stored for clutch servo/ hydraulic servo and gearbox control servo/ multiplex pedal info invalid
Battery voltage and system operation faults
Erase faults and road test appears to drive normally
No faults showing after road test
Suspect clutch may be worN

Driving home tonight noticed lights dimming on some gear changes... When selecting gears at standstill ( can only select 1/2/r it won't let me select any more with engine running) no dipping of lights

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again..

You have to determine as I stated, if those fault codes are historic or not... If not - then with all that you have, I would suspect wiring / connection issues / earthing issues.... that too would tie in with your lights dimming - bad wiring / earths etc will create a high resistance in the circuit and will / can cause that....

Your symptoms with the selection process do add up as I have noted above...If all else checks out, you have to be looking at the mechanical side of the operation to make progress with this -

Kind Rgds,. MIKE.