Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Renault Espace 1998 Speedometer works intermittently. What

Renault Espace 1998 Speedometer works intermittently. What can be done to fix it?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome.. My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

Mike :

Please just acknowledge my contact so that I know you are on line / in the Live Chat - then we can progress..

Mike :

Customer:

hello

Customer:

SO you have a solution? Have you seen this problem before?

Mike :

I have been waiting for your acknowledgement that you were in Live chat - I was about to close. Please tell me what you have done / tried / investigated so far?

Customer:

I have changed

Mike :

The system says you have gone out of the Live Chat again... do you wish to carry on or not / are you having problems with the chat system?

Customer:

oops changed the sending unit, and checked the plug to the unit

Customer:

how do i stay on?

Customer:

Is there a button to say I am here and ready?

Customer:

there is something I am not getting with the chat I guess

Customer:
I have a Renault Espace III 1998. I am from the USA and live in Norway. The Customer service here is poor and their answer is to take it in and diagnose the problem. At 220£ per hour I am not ready to do that. I was wondering if you could help by giving me a possible solution if this is a known problem, then I can take that to the shop and have them start there.

The problem is that the speedometer only works for the first 6-8 km. And then it comes and goes at will. I have replaced the sending unit on the axel with a used one from the UK. So the chances that I would get two bad units from two countries is not really possible I would bet. SO is this something you have seen before or know how to or where to start? The forums have said to change or check the ABS sensors, or the back of the dash, or the ECM, or several other solutions. Hench he reason I am turning to someone who may know. Thanks for looking at this and I hope you have a least the things I can eliminate to start.
Mike :

Ok - all you need to do is stay on this page - keep the system open - and reply to me when you see me reply to you - type your reply - and then hit SEND.. thats all.. as you have above...

Mike :

I have just received a long message from you - please give me a min to read through ...

Mike :

Ok - I have read all that through .. The "unit" you say you have changed on the axle - exactly what was that part??

Customer:

long black piece with a rod that rotates,

Customer:

can i add pictures here? I could show you

Customer:

Full Size Image

Mike :

Thank you - do you have a part number for that - or did they say that was definatly the dash / speed sensor??

Customer:

I found this part through forum discussions, and I have driven it without the part plugged in and got no dash response so I figured that was the culprit, but again it works for a bit and off and on. must be something else?

Customer:

I am at work, can i send an email while i wait or will that close me out of your system?

Mike :

No you can do that... if you need, if it would be better - we can close out the live chat.. I can switch us to the QA system and work from there - you just send me the info when you are ready.. when I receive it, I will then reply to you - and you will get an email notification of my reply - and so on... that system works very well for if you / we cannot stay on live chat or if its not feasible to to so..

Customer:

we can stay on here, rather do it this way, just so you know that i will be in another window for a few minutes, but will have this window open to jump back to when you respond

Mike :

Thats ok..

Customer:

i am back

Customer:

you have all the info I have now, is it a lost cause?

Mike :

ok- I am going to give you some thoughts as to what the problem may be.. what to do / how to check. You will need a garage for the checking - this is because this needs test equipment .. Any local garage can do this for you - you dont need to use a dealer.. that will be consdierably cheaper for you - and too , its only a ten min job. They need to plug on live test equipment -

Mike :

What this live test does is, test the circuit to see if the signal is being sent through -

Mike :

So - that tells straight away if the sensor / circuit is ok

Mike :

If it is - then the connectors to the dash should be checked first... but after that... the dash itself is suspect.

Mike :

That is a common cause on this model - the dash unit itself being faulty.. in which case, it would have to be eitehr repaired ( sent to a specialist for repair ) or, replaced.

Mike :

That - as above, is the best way to deal with this issue with this model.

Mike :

Your symptoms do add up to a faulty dash to be honest - especially as you have I would agree , ruled out the sensor - but - the test as above, will confirm for you.

Customer:

ok would you suggest then, if I am kind of handy that I get a part from a junkyard, and replace that then see?

Customer:

or are they all faulty enough that it wont help

Customer:

any idea what sending it for repair would run? ballpark is ok.

Mike :

Its either that or the test as above yes.. I would always suggest have the test done so as to save money on unneceserry part replacement.

Mike :

It depends on whats wrong with it to be honest - I can give you a phone number for you in the UK - they specialise in these repairs...

Customer:

what is the test called, i am dealing with another language to boot, so i need to get them to run the right thing one time and save a few pounds

Mike :

It would be worth a phone call - they can talk you through it...

Mike :

The test is a LIVE DATA test on the Speed Sensor circuit - thats all.. they will know ( I would think ;)

Customer:

ok that is what i needed, i can at least start with the english name of the test, i think that kind of test is about 50£ that i can handle.

Customer:

the results of the test will say?

Customer:

if the dash is bad, "bad dash"

Mike :

Ok yes.. The phone number for the dash repair company .. is +44 1 63 4.. 687 222

Customer:

what i mean is this test will tell me that the dash is gone and I need to start looking for one right?

Mike :

It will tell you if the speed sensor and circuit is working - if that is all ok ( it will register the speed (live) on test on the machine... so its a process of elimination then - the connectors would just need checking before settling on the dash as the issue.

Customer:

do you have a company name as calling is expensive

Mike :

Yes they are called BBA Reman.

Customer:

oh ok so the test will show speed but the dash is not, right? got it

Mike :

they have a website too under that name.

Mike :

correct yes.

Customer:

almost there,

Customer:

can the test check the dash?

Mike :

No - they wont have the equipment to do that - thats where the "company" come in.

Mike :

It takes very specialised / expensive equipment for that.

Customer:

I see many cars being parted out here, If the test can check just the dash i can have a seller check that and then i would buy from them

Mike :

No it has to be done as above - worked through as above.

Customer:

so the test wont work for that, i need to ask the seller then if they have had this problem, if not then probably safe to buy from them

Mike :

Thats right yes -

Customer:

ok well that maybe all i have. i think this has been a great help. thank you.

Customer:

except for. . .

Mike :

...

Mike :

except for...?

Customer:

i was looking at the bba site, they have a form to fill out to get info on the inst. cluster

Mike :

You would be best ringing them - you can email them.. but its quicker to speak with them to be honest.

Customer:

is the "part/model name" just may car model, i dont know the part number for a dash do you?

Mike :

But I would suggest have the test done first - then contact them if needed.

Customer:

that is true, thanks

Customer:

can i print this out/save/email?

Mike :

You would just fill in your car details - and then put dash / cluster as the part / fault - suspect isue.

Mike :

Yes you can do that .

Mike :

Just highlight the whole chat session above - with your mouse ( turn it all blue ) - then click ctr + P.. that will print it all.

Customer:

ok well that is all, thanks for your help.

Customer:

I guess I will let you go. Bye

Mike :

No problem at all - Anything else / ever - you know where i am.. Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings for me now as that is how Im crdited for helping you .. Thank you !

Customer:

k bye

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Mack for doing the rating for me -

I hope all goes well for you - If there is ever anything else, you are welcome back anytime..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.