Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Engine keeps cutting out until engine warms up

Customer Question

Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What Renault model / Year and Engine size do you have?

Any warning lights on since or prior to the issue?

Any unusual noises from the engine itself during cold start etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a megane dynamique 1.6 vvt (petrol) I have had a couple of new coil packs fitted last year ... But no lights on the dash so far ... And no usual or loud noises ... I just have to give some extra revs when moving off ... Hope that helps
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there sorry for the delay..thanks for your reply..

Ok..Firstly i doubt an engine flush will help with issue to be honest wither that be oil system flushed or coolant - engine service may help but i cant see it though if you did have the sparkplugs changed when the new coils where fitted if they are genuine coils then you shouldnt have issue with them - usually the most common failures you find on these in regards to cutting out is usuallly down to either crank or cam sensor itself loosing signal and thus obviously the engine will cut out so those two things certainly need to be checked - crank sensor is usually the most common sensor to fail so it maybe worth try a new one genuine sourced if possible another could be failing etc sensor pretty much an electronic choke in which monitors the temp of the coolant to help the ecu trim fuel air mixture so maybe worth looking into that too.aswell as that have the throtle body checked or cleaned out too sometimes these can carbonise up and cause all sorts of running issues cutting out etc so again certainly consider having that done.also seeing as you do have vvt engine you will have variable valve timing system dephaser pulley on the intake camshaft on that so certainly carefully listen for any rattle or unsual noises emitting from the timing side of the engine - if there is any such noise during cold startfrom that side that would certainly verify the dephaser at fault and causing the cutting out - one other option too would be to hook up a suitable diagnostic machine depending on it capability via live data might actually help pin point the which sensor is at fault...I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes thank you very helpful ... I'm not getting any noise from timing side of engine but was thinking I could be the sensor or sensors ... I am having a diagnostic done prior to service so fingers crossed , I will mention the auto choke carbonising problem to garage ... Many thanks mark
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there thats fine..if you need to ask anything else then just continue after this post..even after you have rated you can still ask further questions..regards Robert