Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

2002 Renault Espace JE00 problem. With the ignition key off

Customer Question

2002 Renault Espace JE00 problem. With the ignition key off and and removed completely the gear select LEDs plus the "Warning light for checking the dipped headlight beam height"
instrument warning lamp , glow and flatten the battery within 7 to 10 days
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome....

Mike :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you .. Please just post a reply so that I know you are here in Live Chat - then we can progress....

Customer:

Hi Mike

Mike :

Hello there - Im sorry -have you been having trouble with the chat system?

Mike :

( dont worry if the system says Ive gone - I havent ! )

Customer:

No . With the email address. Used by another inquiry it said

Mike :

Oh right - Ok well anyway - I have you now.. Ok - so this issue you have - can you tell me what you have done /tried already - and when it started?

Customer:

It is hard to accurately put any event to blame , but I have recently replaced the alternator regulater. At least prior to that there was no fault

Customer:

Perhaps on reflection the battery going flat was the reason the regulater was replaced and I had not noticed the LEDs

Mike :

Ok - how is the battery now? ( and when was that )?

Customer:

Battery was replaced and subsequently recharged with cadmium charger. At present fully charged

Mike :

Ok - this could well have a bearing - These Rens are so very tempremental when it comes to electrics / electronics - do you know how to do a UCH reset ?

Mike :

( is it the correct battery for the car ?

Customer:

No . I have a reasonable level on savvy but could you please elaborate

Mike :

Ok no problem - the Uch is th emain computer for the electronics and they do go skewy and give all odd issues such as you describe - a faulty one has to be repaired / replaced but often they will respond to a re boot .. I explain as follows :

Customer:

I believe the the battery is correct for the car although had to accept the terminals reversed. ie pos to front of vehicle for pos to rear of vehicle

Mike :

To do that - you need to be sure the battery is fully charged - then, take the keys out the car.. then disconnect the battery cables off the battery - then, clamp / connect the cable connectors together - Use a wire if needed -- and leave like that for 45 mins - then disconnect them from each other- and re fit to the battery - and try it then. If thats worked , that will be ok then.. If not.. then its either a fault with the wiring , the dash cluster or the UCH - From there, you would need plug in diagnostics Im afraid to be sure of which - so that you dont spend on the wrong item - though these are known for water ingress into the wiring / fuse/ relay boxes - its always worth checking for that carefully first - and then go from there ( if the re boot didnt work that is )

Mike :

the battery sounds to be the wrong one - I can check it for you if you like -or you can re check with the shop ..but you shouldn;'t have to do that .

Customer:

Thanks Mike . I will try that over the next day or two and then can I come back to you after that?

Mike :

Yes you can no problem at all.. You can come back to me anytime at all - All I need you to do is click on one of the OK ratings for me now - then you will get a link in an email -you can come back to me at anytime thereafter ( Im always here daily )

Customer:

The battery had all the same attributes of the original , just the terminals were crossed and the size etc was exactly the same. Will check with the supplier as I'm sure that the difference was only physical

Mike :

Ok - well yes do that - but if you have any problems at all with that either - I can look it up for you ..

Customer:

Thanks Mike . I will be in touch

Customer:

Am about to push the OK button. The email address is [email protected]

Mike :

You're very welcome -

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Mike- Done the reset UCH as you described. Battery tight as a drum when done. The symptoms still the same. Checking this and that with key on and off, discovered that putting the gearshift into reverse altered the lights. When lever placed in reverse, the gear position LEDs extinguished and the dash LED brightened. When reflecting on your questions previous I remember I replaced the DPO auto multifunction switch seeking to improve the high revving gearshift pattern. Any where you can point me?