Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

i have recently bought from a privsate sale a 2004 renault

Customer Question

i have recently bought from a privsate sale a 2004 renault espace 2.2 dci. it drives beautifully for around 3/4 mile, then as you accelerate the electrical fault sign comes on, and the car looses a great deal of power. i have replaced the egr valve and the airflow meter. i have noticed that the boost pressure valve has been disconnected, but have been topld by a mechanict that this is not a problem, since the engine revs freely without any smoking even whern the electrical fault sign is lit. i would appreciate any help as to why you might disconnect the boost pressure valve (front top of engine), and where pipes run to reconnect if you advise to do i cannot find a diagram of where these pipes run anywhere
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ...

Do you have any fault codes you can give me from the vehicle?

Rgds, MIKE...........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has thrown up a hole variety of fault codes, egr valve (replaced) air flow meter (replaced) throttle peddle a anb b faults (however when the fault occours if you dip the clutch engine revs freely), injector heater circuits.

not sure what else to do

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

We need to just be a bit specific here -

Ok - what I need to know is - have the fault codes that have been detected - been deleted - the Ecu reset.. and then.. the vehicle re driven... and the light come on again?

Then - if so - was another fault code read done... and new codes retrieved.. and if so - what were they exactly?

Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

bought the car and drove home in the pouring rain, so did not notice lack of power.

next day noticed lack of power, and wiggly fault sign on dashboard display, spoke to people at work, one of my nurses husband is a vw mechanic an suggested egr valve.

replaced egr valve--- still fault persists, took o my local gagrage but cannot read renault fault codes

whent to another garage, paid to have fault codes read, came up with:

1826 heater circuit

180 pedal sensor A (gang1)

180 b pedal sensor B (gang 2)

1882 fuel pressure information

1815 inlet pressure boost circuit

1806 airflow sensor circuit

1814 egr recirc function (valve HAD been replaced at this point

asked mechanic where to go, and he suggested changing airflow sensor, so bought fro net. mechanic fitted, and reset codes, told me it was sying same faults, but had terrible probs in reading codes.

when new air flow sensor was fitted the car needed several minutes to warm up aafter starting before pressing the throttle peddle would increase engine reves, however i felt the replacement airflow meter was faulty, returned it and the replacement sent no longer has this problem

i have noticed that the boost pressure valve seems to have been disconnected, but when you look at it it seems to have been done professionally, since the pipes fom the outlet side have been plugged by a purpose made plug, not anything heath robinson.

I was told by my very first mechanic that this disconnection was not an issue, but welcome your opinion, if you feel i should reconnect please can you tell me, where the pipes run to/ from, the outlet side (bottom of valve would appear obious to connect to the blanked off pipe, but cannot see where the inlet (top of valve) pies run to from top of valve.

when the light is on the car revs freely up to near red line on tacho if you dip the clutch, spo cannot believe it is a throttle pedal fault. the car blows no smoke on start up, or acceleration, and has no exessive turbo whine

where do i go from here?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..

First - Im sorry - I did type you a reply out last eve - only to find on checking this morning that its not showing / not gone through ! So Im sorry about that - very frustrating --

What I was saying was, with this you have too many "odd" fault codes...and I note what you say about the garage and the troubles encountered with the diagnostics.

This is a common issue with the Renaults- they use a very specific protocol and many smaller type garages come against these issues when trying to connect / code read etc. The problem is that the garage doesn't have the correct either hardware or more usually software in the equipment to properly connect and therefore obtain the proper codes ..and proper diagnostics. This has evidently been happening here to with yourself.

So - you have to at this point ignore what you have on the code front , its just misleading you.
What you need to do is either locate a garage that has the correct software etc as above to do a proper diagnostic check for you ...or use a dealer at least for the diagnostics if you don't have one near you...

But before you do that , there is a known , common issue on these that Renault issued a Fix / Tsb on - I will give you that as follows - check it against your engine and work with that -- that may be all that is needed to cure your issue... I will give you that as follows - click the image to enlarge:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Re the piping you mention, this is to do with turbo control overall. I cant suggest to re connect at this stage - but its not right that its been disconnected / plugged etc - and may well be the root of your troubles if the above fix doesn't apply or cure it. Just to reconnect may cause expensive damage / issues... It could you see have been disconnected due to various faults such as a turbo over boost situation or such like and cause expensive damage. Its evidently been disconnected for a reason - so I have to suggest there to have the turbo system tested properly to see whats going on there. This sort of thing can cause your symptoms - so if nothing as above works, you need to look at this next as well as getting proper diagnostics. Again, I cant risk you just connecting that all up if there is a risk of expensive damage.

I would suggest to use a Diesel Specialist to be honest for the work above - the diagnostics and the turbo / piping issue - as they have all the test equipment needed to get to the bottom of this as needed if the above doesnt cure it.

So work through as above on this one now.. Let me know how you get on..

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.