Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, ive just noticed oil spots all over the back of my 05 1.9dci

Hi, ive just noticed oil spots all over the back of my 05 1.9dci espace.
is this serious?
cheers
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Do you mean all over the back of the car/bumper etc?

Have you noticed any excess smoke from the back of the car or any performance problem with the car?

Any loss of fluids inc oil/coolant?

Nobody elses car is parked at the rear of yours just to rule out the possibility of that?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, yes all over back hatch and bumper, haven't noticed any loss of fluids but did take it on motorway run to reading and back yesterday from lymington - about 130 mile round trip there wasn't any oil on back halfway through trip.

nobody elses car parked near back of it either

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..depending how bad it is it could be just which can happen is water/condensation that comes out of the tail pipe mixes with the black carbon in the tail pipe and sprays out..if you feel what its like..if its kind of watery spots/gritty then it possible that all it is.as long as your not actually loosing coolant then it shouldnt be anything to worry about...if its actually engine oil and the inside of the tail pipe is coated in oil residue..then you may have a problem..try revving up the engine whilst somebody else watches to see if there is any tell tail blue smoke..any oil that can get into the exhaust system can be due to a failing turbo on exhaust section of the turbo

/ failure on pcv crank case vent system / valve stem seals..maybe have check within the intake system.intercooler pipe to or leads to the turbo unit for any excess oil residue..there will be fine film of oil which is expected.but ensure there isnt alot in there..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything further or include anything else then just continue before you rate
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK