Mark
Mark, Renault Certified Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified technician and MOT tester
69494627

Hi Robert,I have a Renault Trafic 54 plate, 90k miles on

Hi, I have a Renault Trafic 54 plate, 90k miles on the clock. I bought it on about 80k miles, almost a year ago. A few months after getting it, I started to get a judder when engaging first gear. This has got progressively worse, to the point where it's getting almost impossible to pull away in first if I am starting from a stand still or going uphill. If the van is rolling, even very slightly, then the judder doesn't occur and it only happens with first gear. I recently (last month) had the clutch and hydraulic cylinder changed, thinking that could be the issue (from what I had read online), but nothing has changed. I also had the wheels balanced in case that was it, but it wasn't! Yesterday, I also lost 6th gear when cruising at 70mph on an uphill incline on a motorway. I don't know if these are related? All other gears are working fine.

I had the gear linkage cables changed a couple of weeks ago and I also had the gear box oil changed. Just prior to that, it had a full oil, oil filter, fuel filter etc service as well.

Any ideas what could be the cause of the first gear judder? And what the solution might be for the 6th gear - and/or if the two are related? Many thanks, Steve

Category: Renault
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

The judder could be due to a faulty dual mass flywheel.

Mark :

There might also be a rattling noise when starting or switching off the engine if the flywheel was faulty but not in every case. So if there is any such noise it helps point towards the flywheel.

Mark :

It could also be the clutch switch as this could affect the engine running characteristics when pulling away.

Customer:

Mark,

Mark :

Customer:

Sorry, was trying to reply on my phone and the website didn't like it... I will get the flywheel investigated - is it a simple thing for a garage to check? Would this provide any explanation for the problem I now have with 6th gear as well, or are they likely to be unrelated (the judder issue and 6th gear not engaging?)

Customer:

Is there any way I can check the clutch switch or flywheel myself? In terms of noise, there is a rattling, or feathery type noise, but this has only recently started and I noticed (since having some work done recently) that the plastic cover on the engine is only being held down by a single nut (where there should be two or three holding down points) so I put the noise down to this rattling. would that make any sense?

Customer:

Also, how do I know if I have a DFM or solid flywheel? A bit of looking around on the net suggests it could be either? Thanks!

Mark :

Can you tell me what engine you have.

Mark :

The switch can be tested using a multimeter.

Mark :

The initial test for the flywheel would be noise, vibration or judder.

Mark :

To check it you need to remove the gearbox and measure the amount of movement it has and a visual inspection of the surface for heat damage.

Mark :

The fault with 6th gear is a separate issue, I would say.

Customer:

I have the 1.9 dci 100 engine.

Customer:

Mark - did you have any luck determining if I am likely to have a dual mass flywheel or not?

Customer:

Also - any idea what the problem with 6th gear could be down to, or does the gear box need to be opened up to check this out (is there anything else I could check beforehand?)

Mark :

This engine does have a dual mass flywheel. If it doesn't then someone has modified it at some time.

Mark :

I would always check the gearchange adjustment first but if you are getting five gears plus reverse with no problem then it is likely the fault is inside the gearbox.

Mark, Renault Certified Technician
Experience: Fully qualified technician and MOT tester