Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

The ABS dash light is staying on.

Customer Question

The ABS dash light is staying on.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Has any codes actually been retrived when this occurs?

anything already inspected or replaced upto this point?

What Renault model do you have year etc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Renault Megane 03

The brake pads were replaced, after which the ABS light came on the dash. The garage re set the computer, the light cleared.When the car was started the next morning the light was back. What codes are we talking about ?.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

ABS system should have fault codes and will help diagnose why your ABS keeps coming back up..the ABS system has self test feature..thats why everytime you start the car the abs lamp comes on during which the self test begins

once its see no problems then the lamp goes out and stays out - if its still on or comes on during driving etc then the problem either going to be a one of the ABS sensor or wiring/target ring the abs sensor monitors or the abs unit/control module is faulty or damaged..they should also inspect the related fuses for it too - If your garage doesnt have the diagnostic machine to interrogate the abs system for fault codes nor do a live test/machine plugged in whilst driving the car to see if that throws anything up..then you need to find another garage that has..the only other reason that abs light could come on after a brake pad change is that they "may" of damaged the abs unit during the pad change when retracting the brake caliper pistons back in to get the caliper over the new pads.when doing that your forcing brake fluid back up the line to the abs unit and sometimes this can damage it or invert the internal seals..the only way to prevent that is to when pushing back the caliper pistons - is to either clamp the flexi line - open the bleed nipple on the caliper - fix a clear line to it with the other end of the line in a bottle of brake fluid and then retract the piston back in slowly that can stop any damage occuring with the abs pump itself.if they didnt do that and this abs warning has just come on after they did the pads then there is possibility the abs unit maybe damaged.but as above you really do need to have the abs system interrogated for fault codes and see what they are before you can progress further on this im afraid,if it just a simple sensor gone then? it should be simple job to replace..as abs warning lights are now part of the mot and will fail.. I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue