Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

We have a 2002 Kagoo van and the flashers have now starter

We have a 2002 Kagoo van and the flashers have now starter to continuously flash, even with the central flasher switch taken totally out, and the indicator switch on the column disconnected. On the back of the dashboard display panel we can disconnect the plug on devices which indicate the flasher indicators within the dashboard. Even with all this disconnected all 4 flashers still keep going. What we cannot find is the flasher relay unit anywhere local to the fuse box, or under the dashboard, or anywhere under the bonnet.
Where is it? We cannot even locate it bŷ listening for the clicking noise, because there is no noise, yet the lights keep flashing. HELP
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you with your issue.

You mention above you have removed the flasher unit - ( which is relay number 3 in the relay box under the dash )

The problem you have here with the flashers is down to one of a few possible things -

Either, you have a wiring issue / short / fault - that will cause this.. and that takes physical checking through the wiring systems to find such a fault.. or- you have a fault with the security system on the vehicle - ie - the alarm system operates the flashers when activated... or- you have a fault with the air bag / srs system.. as that operates the flashers in the event of an accident / bang.. or- you have a fault with the main central control unit on the vehicle.... or - lastly - water in the electrics... Its a common issue on these to get water / rain in the electrics - fuse boxes both in the engine bay and in under the dash--- so I would say first - check for that ... then go from there.

Im sorry there is no "it will be this / that " with this vehicle / issue - it really can be any of those as above.

If you cannot pin the cause to be water or shorted wiring - then the nest step is usually to have a plug in diagnostic test done - which will ID which of the other faults it is thats causing this. As computer controlled systems are involved from this point, ( ie- security system / air bag / srs systems as above ) you have to have it checked at a garage with plug in equipment if you get to this point without finding the fault Im afraid. I think you will find ultimately that the fault is in the Mfu ( multifunction unit under the dash ) but again , thats a computer that needs diagnosing as above - -
So thats the way to work through this one now -

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello XXXXX for your advice. We have not been able to find the flasher relay on the van, there are no relays mounted next to the fuse box, and we have taken the majority of the cover and sections of the dash apart and still not found one. In the engine compartment fuse box there are 3 larger and 1 smaller relays and neither of these effect the problem when removed. I have tried to find an alarm unit but again no luck. The electric locking does switch ok but we have not found the control unit for this either.
What the mystery is that we cannot hear the clicking on and off of any relay which would give a clue to where it is, but something must be switching on and off for the flashers to continuously operate.
Great if you can advise where the relay is hidden
Many thanks. Eddie
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
- Hello again Eddie -

Thank you for your reply -

I cant see it being the flasher relay anyway - but sorry if I misunderstood.. as you say, there is no clicking - I did note that... and thats what makes me think its coming from the alarm system - ( or part of - no horn sound )

I will give you an image below of the type that has the flasher relay board mounted... NOTE what I have printed on the image... This is known as the Type 2 box.

Here is the image for you:
This is mounted up under the pass side dash area.
If yours does not have that type - as per image, its a part of the Mfu - that unit is mounted above the two fuse boxes....higher up. If its that thats faulty - you will need the diagnostics as mentioned Eddie.

There are two different positions on these for the alarm system models/ computers too - either that is above again - higher than the Mfu and fuse boxes -same side - there... Or -its located on the other side of the van dash - drivers side - high up under the dash.

But again - if its looking like alarm module or Mfu faulty Eddie - you have no choice but to have it diagnosed with plug in equipment one or the other will be faulty, operating the flashers -

Let me know how you go...

Please do click on the "OK ratings" now for me at this point Eddie - Thank you ..

Again - should you need - you can get back to me any time.. clicking the "OK ratings" does not close you out ..

Best Rgds,. MIKE.