Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

hi yesterday when driving home from day out our scenic developed

hi yesterday when driving home from day out our scenic developed a tapping noise coming from engine which got worse, but no lights came on dashboard and no smoke or any leaks what could i be looking at and how much will it cost to get fixed its a 1.5 diesel 2005
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Do you know which side roughly or area on the engine you heard this noise coming from?

Whats its mileage / service,repair history etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi not sure what side its serviced every year and its done 75 000 miles

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..Firstly the best action to start with would be to see which side roughly this noise or problem comes from..as you'll understand a tapping noise could be anything,so it would be difficult to say exactly what needing attention here at this point - usually any sort of tapping can be from valve train problem/lifters , injector(s) problem , a pulley fault either on the auxillary side in which to narrow that down you need to remove the belt and then run the engine to see if the noise stops or not,if it does then you'll know its one of the pulleys that belt drives / a tensioner.guide pulley as per the timing belt,that would certainly need to be inspected asap if that where the noise emits from behind the timing cover! or even something loose on the engine itself. Oil flow issues or lack of oil reaching the top end can cause this too so certainly check your oil....If it seems to change in pitch as you operate the clutch then its most likely going to be clutch related fault,release bearing...as above it really is a case of tracking the noise down to specific area on the engine itself to get any further forward as per what you need to replace or have removed and inspected as such and what sort of costing you maybe be faced with...so as above that about the only way forward in such situations like this..alternatively any good garage or even a good reputable mobile tech should be able to track this down for you..I do hope this helps

Robert, Renault Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK