Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Weve just changed the cylinder head on our Master2.2 turbo

We've just changed the cylinder head on our Master2.2 turbo diesel 2003. Also changed one injector. The van won't start at all . Injectors all fine. Could this be due to some kind of fuel cut out ?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name isXXXXX happy to help / advise you on your question.

There are several different versions of this Renault - please give me the FULL reg number - so that I can ID what you have properly -

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2.2 dci 90hp

Thanks colin
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Colin -

Thank you for that - but the reg cannot be right Colin -- that "X"... should be a digit....??

Rgds, MIKE..............................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry it's AO03 YRU
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,..

Thats ok no problem - I just couldn't figure what an X could be.. ;)

Sorry I could only just get back to you -

Ok - there is no fuel cut off switch as I can see ( or recall ) on this model - What you will have to do Colin is physically check to see if diesel is coming up to the pump / fuel rail etc -

To be perfectly honest, its usually down to an air lock - especially if it was ok in that regard before the work was done - they can be quite troublesome to fully eradicate.,.so you need to be fully sure in that regard.

Other than that - check to be sure you have all the earths connected for sure -

Too - double check that the crank sensor is connected -on top of the gearbox - its easily forgotten when the head has been off - and easy to to trap / damage or forget to connect especially earth wires.

Check to be sure that the sensor wires are all on inc the temp sensor wire - it wont start without that.

Then if you are sure that all is indeed ok as above and it still wont go - I suspect the fault / issue will be that the hydraulic valves are not operating properly as they are not yet filled with oil. This happens after the head has been off - you will likely find/ feel that the engine is spinning on the key as it were, very easily - a lack of compression , and thats why. You can do a compression check to be sure - but thats what it generally is... continual cranking is needed - and it can take a period of 30 mins to an hour to fill the hydraulic valve lifters so that they operate the valves as needed for the engine to start.

The other way is to tow it - I know you mentioned that... but it wont start straight away with this - you need to tow it on a good road , in 3rd, so as not rush the process - but after a good long tow it should / wil fire up if thats the cause. It will be rough when started - but don't rev it - let it run / settle in its own time to avoid damage....

One way or the other as above - so long as there is nothing you haven't told me, you should get it running again -

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi mike sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks for all the good advice.

We have it running again, although it's very erratic lacing power and the glow plug light is on permanently.

Seems as though there is still air in the system.

Any solutions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you receive the message I posted on the 1st?

The mechanic who is doing the work seems to be struggling to get it running properly! Lacking power and black smoke, also orange glow plug light permanently on!

Please advise

Many Thanks