Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Just had my Scenic fitted with new rear brake discs and pads,

Customer Question

Just had my Scenic fitted with new rear brake discs and pads, and Renault Dealer re-programmed System for Handbrake to work properly. Took the car forXXXXXand noticed a burning smell coming from rear of car. First thing I did was put my hand on both rear wheel trims and found them warm. Is this a sign of rear brake pads not fully retracting from discs, or is it just the new brake pads bedding in. Car appears to be driving ok, and Handbrake works ok. I'm worried the car may not be safe to drive.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing this issue is the top film of the new brake pads that come from the factory should have been cleaned off prior to the installation, however when its not cleaned off the issue that you are having happens. This is not a unsafe condition and will go away after driving about 50 miles or so.