Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a Renault Megane 1.6 16v coupe which has been reliable

I have a Renault Megane 1.6 16v coupe which has been reliable enough (Reg.HK52 ZGM) but it has always been prone to overheating when stuck in traffic. The temp needle climbs straight up to maximum to the point that the dash warning light comes on advising me to turn engine off. I have had the car checked and there are no tell-tale signs of head gasket having gone. No sludge visible etc. Fan seems to work intermittently. Obviously this causes me concern and I dread being in any traffic holdup. Can you provide any advice pleased?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you ..

Before we progress - can you tell me its mileage -

Also - what is its service / recent repair history - when was its last engine service?

Have you had any proper actual tests done to see if its a genuine overheat situation or not ? Is it actually overheating ?

Have you had any parts at all replaced in a bid to cure this?

Have you had any plug in tests done ? If so ,with what results?

Have you any warn lights on the dash at all? ( apart from the temp reading you mention )

Please let me know the answers to the above , then we can progress.

When I receive your reply - I will get back to you asap thereafter -

Kind Rgds, MIKE........................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One service in January this year. Cambelt change as well as a new water pump. One garage gasket check which reports no signs of gasket damage. Since I purchased car year and a half ago no other problems. Overheating clear and obvious with steam, hot engine and temp needle rising and dash saying 'turn off engine/car' highlighted red. Mileage is 78000.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Already responded! am I going to receive a reply? There is some urgency to this matter! Thank you

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Gary..

My apologies for the delay - there has been some system issues and I just could not reply to you until now - I can only apologise for that.

Ok, there are different causes of what you have - Yes it could be head gasket - or head issues..regardless of the outcome of the tests... its not always 100%... and again - it does depend on exactly what test was done.. A Dye test is the best and / or a CO test.. you didn't say which or what type was done ..

But before progressing there - other simple causes of overheating ion that way can be as simple as sticking thermostat.. a failed coolant tank cap ( not allowing the pressure to build properly and letting the water / steam out , making it appear its o/heating )..

Too - and very common, is a failing water pump.. what happens is the impeller on the pump tends to break so it doesn't pump the water round as it should - or it cracks on the spindle - so the pump spins, but the impeller doesn't - same result.

Assuming the test results can be taken as accurate at least for now.. then you need to check the items as above. Im afraid there is no easy way - you have to physically check... I would start with checking the cap / seal - then the thermostat before the w / pump...

By then you should have it sussed - If not, then you need to do or have done, more specific tests as above.

I note you say there is no sludge etc - It wouldn't do any harm to power and reverse flush the system - I don't actually think that will be your cure - but its a god idea to keep it in good shape.. Your issue will Im sure be one of the above... You will need to work through as I have outlined Gary - you will get it sorted that way one way or the other..

--- Im very pleased to have helped you .. Once again, my sincere apologies for the delay - I just couldn't do anything about that Im afraid..

I do just need you to please click on the "OK / Excellent ratings for me now -- and I Thank You for doing that.

You know where I am if you need anything else.

Very kind Rgds, MIKE.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Gary -

Im just following up with you on your Renault..

I have sent you a reply yesterday but you as yet have not viewed it , so this is really just a prompt for you so that you know you have the reply.

However, should you need anything more, feel free to get back to me.

.>> Meantime ...........Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.