Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a problem with a Renault 2006 Modus automatic. It keeps

Customer Question

I have a problem with a Renault 2006 Modus automatic.
It keeps giving a warning message "check the gearbox" the car still drives normally and the message is removed if the engine is switched off and the on.
Is this a computer fault?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

I would be impossible to say it would be computer fault or the transmision or tcm itself.without actually doing proper testing and seeing what faults the tcm is picking up on hence the " check gearbox message" certainly you would need to check the wiring connections to the gearbox first if incase this maybe a loose plug connection or corrosion as such causing that warning to appear every so often - the reason is when it doesnt appear after you switch on again is that the fault memory has been cleared until such time its see the fault again..they can have issues with evm

/solenoid valves on the block as part of the gearbox..but only a full diagnostic test would rule that out if thats the case or not..unfortunatly with such fault like this apart from doing the visual wiring/plug connections checks on the gearbox or fluid checks the rest has to be done diagnosically "as and when that warning appears" to see what fault codes your getting or storing if this is electronic control problem on the gearbox or not..I do hope this helps