Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

In my renault laguna .I cant get second gear at all , now I

In my renault laguna .I cant get second gear at all , now I am having trouble getting first gear .its a five speed gear box .heard since they give a bit of trouble, there is only 110000 miles on the clock . .how can I rectify this .it looks like the gearbox was changed already before .

Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome -

Mike :

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you ..

Mike :

Im afraid you are right - all these transmissions seem to develop these types of faults- and more often than not, the fault is inside the trans - meaning repair or replacement.

Mike :

What you can do though - and should so is check the linkage first - where it joins the transmission - ( remove stuff in there so you can actually see the linkage on the top of the trans - ) then have a helper go through the gears as you watch - and just carefully watch to see if there are any faults there..

Mike :

Hi there - I see you have joined me... Im just in the middle of explaining the way forward for you ;)

Mike :

As I was saying - as you do that - watch to see if the linkage cables are operating as they should - and look to see if they are connected as they should be - it will be obvious if they are not - Look also for any breaks - fractures on the linkage mounting - sometimes they shear- and of course you will lose movement and hence gears if so -

Mike :

If you see an issue there then that has to be dealt with - If not- then the issue is generally inside as mentioned.. Most likely the trans that has been fitted was a 2nd hand one and sadly its not lasted.. This is always the issue / risk with 2nd hand -

Mike :

But thats the way forward on this one now to check out whats wrong and then go from there as you find.

Mike :

Is there anything more I can help you with or is that all ok for you ?

Mike :

The system says you are typing -

Customer:

Is it worth taking this gearbox out and getting someone to look inside it to fix it or will I try getting another gearbox .it will have to be a second hand one because i cannot afford a new one .

Mike :

I understand fully - new ones are a horrendous figure... I would say its worth doing that yes- Its got to come out so its not a big task to split it open for a garage or whoever - Its usually a fault on the 1st / 2nd gear train - or selctor for that train - its hard to know until you get in there - but parts are not a terrible price - its more the labour involved... you would have to ask whoever you are going to use for a price... People do tend to fit another trans usually for speed - because the whole job that way is done in 3 - 4 hrs... whereas to remove / strip and repair and refit by the time youve got the parts in ( they would have to be ordered as no one keeps them in ).. you are looking at a week off the road.

Mike :

So its all down to your circumstances really in those regards.

Mike :

Can I help you anymore at all while we are here in Live Chat?

Mike :

If we all done, I do just need you to click on the OK / Excellent ratings for me before you leave - and I thank you for that .. You are welcome to come back to me anytime at all as / if needed...

Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again John -

Im sorry - the CHAT system seemed to hang - it does that now and again so I switched us to the QA system.

However , I think we had just finished up but if you do need to get back to me for anything further - just fill in here and use the reply button -

** >> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE