Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have 2001 Espace III Diesel It has a problem starting once

I have 2001 Espace III Diesel It has a problem starting once in awhile, it turns over, just does not start. I can give it a push, then pop the clutch to give it a jolt and it "fixes" it for a bit. OR if I don't have to go anywhere, I can wait and try with in a few minutes and it will work. I understand through research that it could be the TDC sensor. Is this the case? Can I just clean this rather than get a new one?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still waiting for an answer. The last person that helped with the other car was very helpful.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome back...

This is MIKE - I was the one who helped you before as you referred to... Im sorry to see you have had a wait on this question...... Personally I have only just seen it in the listings Im sorry -

Ok - with this issue on your Renault as you describe - most certainly yes it can well b e the crank sensor that is giving you this trouble.... To explain, they are just not that reliable on this model - and around that year range. Renault in fact came out with a new type - upgraded type to cure this intermittent start issue - so, if you get a replacement - do get one from a Renault parts dept...

You can try giving it a clean - being the magnetic type they do get clogged with filings and dirt.
The sensor is fitted right on the top of the gearbox bell housing where it abuts the engine... its held by 2 x 10 mm bolts. Disconnect the electrical connector to the sensor.. ( you have to move the air pipes / wires etc out the way to get some access )... then remove the 2 bolts - careful not to drop them through the hole there !... take the sensor out and see how it is - clean it fully - refit and retry it.

If that works, great... If not - I would certainly suggest a new sensor then for this issue.

Im very pleased to have helped you once again..... Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I will try to give that a good cleaning. The part is small enough that it would not be too expensive right? What could I expect or what is too much so I am not taken?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Mack -

Thank you for your reply..

Depending on the exact version Mack - they range between £20 - £50 or so... Be a good idea to go to the parts dept with your vehicles VIN and reg... to be sure of "right first time"...

But certainly try the clean first yes- I have had success with that in the past.....

Best Rgds, MIKE.

----->--------Please do click on the "OK ratings" for me now at this point Mack - Thank you very much...

And you are welcome back anytime at all..

Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert