Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a central locking key that wont work, so I cannot lock

I have a central locking key that wont work, so I cannot lock the driver's door. I have changed the battery but it still does not work. Can you help?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Mike :

Hello and Welcome -

Mike :

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help -

Mike :

I know your car is a Renault - but thats all you have put - Please give me the Full details of the car...

Mike :

Then please tell me the background to the issue -

Mike :

Then when I receive your reply we can progress -

Mike :

Kind Rgds, MIKE............................................

Customer:

model..clio expression 16v

Customer:

3 door hatchback... 1149 cc

Customer:

reg.....SB03 HLV

Customer:

right hand drive.

Customer:

recently bought car....

Customer:

as above.. Renault clio Expression 16v. right hand drive. reg...SB03HLV. just recently bought car...Pauline

Mike :

Hi there Pauline

Mike :

Sorry for the delay - its just been extremely busy this eve.

Mike :

Thank you for the car details - Can you tell me -have you tried a new battery in the fob / key?

Mike :

Im not seeing any reply from you - sometimes the chat system hangs - If I think thats happened / if I dont hear from you in a few mins - I will swap us to the QA system - that works fine and we can carry on there -

Customer:

Yes new battery in.

Mike :

Ah I have you now - Did you check the battery you fitted was 1, the right one ( its very easy to get given the wrong one - there are two types that are the same size - just one is thinner than the other - and they are different voltages.. they wont work interchanged - )..and two.. that its fitted the right way up...its very easy to fit the wrong way round.

Mike :

If you simply had a failed battery- and the new one was wrong / as above in any way - then it wont work - so you do need to check on that....

Mike :

one battery is a 2016 the other is a 2032.. just check the numbers - then check the battery is the right way up....

Mike :

Now -if you find all is at should be, then overall the remote must have failed - A new / replacement is the only answer to that Im afraid - and a new one would have to be programmed to the car using diagnostic equipment... Your cheapest way for this is to use a Mobile Auto Locksmith who can come to you - they supply the new fob / key and program it for you there and then.. You can look them up on line on google near you - or the likes of yell.com

Customer:

Had a look at battery and it is ...cr1220

Mike :

Okay.... let me double check that for you... give me a mo.. ( is that the original or replacement?

Customer:

replacement!

Mike :

ok - do you have the original to check against?

Mike :

My info ( as well as my memory ) says it should be a Cr2016

Customer:

The original battery, was taken and thrown by shop assistant. It was a jewellers shop.. Where could I get the CR2016 from?

Mike :

Ok - you can get them from almost anywhere - Boots even - places that sell hardware as well... erm.. Currys - Maplin - even Supermarkets - etc -

Mike :

Im sure thats your problem - it will be if the battery just went flat and they gave you the wrong one -

Mike :

You can meantime, use the emergency locking on the car.

Customer:

OK thanks, ***** ***** is not strong enough so will try and buy the correct size and then see what happens.. Once again thanks for your help. Pauline..

Mike :

No problem at all... All I need you to do now for me is to click on the OK ratings please... and if you do need to get back to me - you know where I am- you are most welcome.

Customer:

When I use the key on passenger door it does not lock drivers door. Also cant open the boot !! sorry to be a pain !

Mike :

Ok ... what you need to do is reach in and lock the doors individually - then close the pass door and lock it with the key...

Mike :

Does the boot normally open ok ?

Customer:

When the key was working ,it was fine. only had car a little while and had to MOT and insure it ,so have not been using it untill today....

Mike :

If I recall - the emergency lock wont have anythng to do with the boot.

Mike :

Thats right - it will be ok when the key is working again..

Mike :

If the key wont work in the lock - its usually because the actual mechanical lock never gets used so they seize..

Mike :

You could try some Wd40 in it - that will often free it up to work - but again - it will work when you get your key operating again via remote action.

Customer:

Ok thanks for that!!! let's hope that is all it is (battery). Pauline..

Mike :

I hope so too .. but you know where I am if you need me.. .Though as I outlined above - thats the way to go ahead if its not.... When you fit the new battery - ensure its the right way up - try both ways if you are not sure... then when yu fit it - press it in with fionger pressure - twiddle it round and round - that ensures a good connection..

Mike :

sorry for the spelling - I wasn't looking !

Mike :

So if we are done at least for now - please do click on the OK ratings for me before you go off.. Thank you ..

Mike :

That just ensures I get credit for helping you ...

Customer:

Doing now...

Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for doing the rating..

I hope all goes ok for you - but you know where I am if you need anything - indeed on this - or anything else future..

Thank you again and have a good night.

Best Rgds,. MIKE.