Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I am having trouble starting my Megane. When I insert the card

I am having trouble starting my Megane. When I insert the card to start the engine, it doesn't register, and I have to retry many times before the ignition comes on.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Do you get any messages/warning up on the dash when this occurs at all?

Do you have spare keycard you can use?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After I insert card, it still shows "Please insert card". If I push the start button, it shows " Card not detected". No spare card I'm afraid.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi there thanks for your responce

Ok its not totally uncommon for these to this or create a fault with these causing problems like you have on Renaults that use this sort of entry/starting system and its usually or the most common either the card at fault or the reader so its a throw up between the two if that type of message appears where the card isn't getting detected,then usually it down to the reader itself normally - one way to try and help determine wether it is actually the reader or the card for example is to try another card..unfortunatly your not in the poisiton to do that - if you did and works allot better or the problem doesn't happen to second/spare one then you can pretty much assume the card your using before is the problem and not really down to the reader itself - if it happens to both cards then its most likely the reader or in some cases a more in depth problem apart from the reader itself which will need a Renault clip diagnostic machine to track that down properly sadly usually Renault would need to track that type of fault down unless you have good independent garage that has that machine or mobile diagnostic technician - all i can suggest is try and maybe change the batteries in the key you have - try and clear out the reader slot in which you insert the card into ie- hoover out the slot as best you can - as its possible for a build up of dust/dirt overtime etc to get trapped inside and causing the little plastic arms/microswitch not be activated properly when the card is pushed in - or one trick maybe to try and build up the thickness of the key card up.. ie:- draw round the card with a very thin bit of card "cereal box thickness" like a template with an over lap or tab so it doesn't get stuck in reader so you can pull it out along with the card - then insert the key card & thin card along with it to make it a tighter fit into the slot - if that works a little better then you can pretty much assume the reader is at fault or needs taken out and checked further or stripped down and cleaned a little better and or in most usual cases if the reader is at fault another may have to be installed these don't really need to be coded in if another is to be installed it usually just a case of aquiring another reader for your type of car and plug it in place of the old one / obviously to this you will need to remove parts of the dash trim to get the reader assembly out..So as above it isnt an uncommon problem wioth so a few things you can try above..I do hope this helps..

Robert, Renault Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK