Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2006 Renault Trafic DCI 140, done 36K. Its mostly

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Renault Trafic DCI 140, done 36K. Its mostly perfect but just recently the engine has started to cut out whilst travelling at speed. There's no warning, there's no coughing or slight loss of power and there's no warning lights. Its like a plug has been pulled on something electrical. Turn the ignition off and turn it on again whilst coasting and the engine immediately restarts. It can do this again within 2 miles [ in one instance ] or go 100 miles without doing it. My local garage [ who I trust ] have run a diagnosis and say a petrol engine fault code shows which they have cancelled. Problem recurs and of course the engine is diesel! The garage is stumped and is not the sort to start changing expensive bits at random. Any ideas?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I still need an answer and the only additional information I can give you is that when the engine cuts the "STOP" light comes on and the red battery sign also comes on. In other words the vehicle is behaving exactly as though it has stalled but of course it hasn't.

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still have the fault so I still need an answer. I have deliberately stalled the vehicle and what happens is exactly as I descibed, the battery warning light and the "stop" light come on. In other words the fault gives exactly the same signals as a stall. There is nothing else I can tell you. If your experts are no more able to suggest a likely testable cause than I am then they should say so. I've also been on line and cannot find this fault described anywhere but anyone can do this. I was hoping that someone who knew his way around Renault electrics and electronics could do better.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, it seems obvious to me that you cannot help. Unless you disagree please close the question and refund the money.