Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

whilst changing oil filter on Renault Kangoo DCI 1.5 2011 I

whilst changing oil filter on Renault Kangoo DCI 1.5 2011 I caught the alternator with my chain wrench and it smoked; then realising my mistake I disconnected the battery and upon reconnection the car won't start. The key remote still unlocks the doors and the mileage also lights up - those are the only electrical signs of life.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Ok..I see you mention you have checked fuses but you have to check that none have actually blown by that i mean the main heavy duty larger amp fuses within the main engine bay fuse box..not the smaller ones yet..but they will need to be inspected too..so you will have to fully ensure that "all" fuses are not blown before you condem anything else and hope there isnt any irreparable damage to some of these control modules/ecu's..but usually the fuses would protect them before that happens,its a bit like jump starting the wrong way round..so you have essentially shorted it out and the..so take a but of time checking all those for now and see what you find..if its a main fuse the largers one then you should be able to aquire these pretty much at any local motors factors or even a breakers yard of another car with the same fuse type/rating..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In the engine bay fuse box how do I actually tell if a fuse has blown? Is it the fuse box on top of the battery terminal or do I need to remove the battery?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

The fuses are coloured transparent so the centre of the fuse inside will be blown or broken...if it isnt blown then the strip inside will be ok..the main fuse panel is on the battery side of the engine bay the box cover will tell you..you also have a fuse panel under the steering wheel with smaller fuses.unfortunatly im not near my schematic on work computer for these vans to give you a diagram..but you should find details of which in the owners guide.you can of course disconnect the battery before checking all these wait upto 15mins then check each in turn..its just a case of pulling one at a time and check then re-insert and move onto the next one..the larger fuse are a little bit more diffcult to pull..so you maybe able to look in at the side of the fuse to see if the strip inside is broken..of course too if you have Power Probe if you look ontop of the fuse you'll see two tiny metal contacts..with the probe you can touch these with the tester one side with power and the other side without..means the fuse is blown and needs replaced.if both contacts have power then the fuse is ok as it still completing the circuit..I do hope this helps further