Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi Mike can valve be bypassed

Hi Mike can valve be bypassed
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Mike :

Hi there...

Mike :

Is this on the Renault as just ..?

Customer:

Yes

Mike :

Ah right... In that case , yes it can.. If you do a search on ebay, for EGR blank plates.. for your model- you will see there ready manufactured plates that fit over the hole after you remove the valve ;)

Customer:

Thanks Mike ,looking at it ,it does apear ton be an easy task to get at it.I am an HGV fitter ,not had much to do with vans etc

Mike :

Its worse than the Dci / 1.9 models - but its really not that bad at all to be honest... as far as "not bad " goes on Renaults !...

Mike :

Once there -its just the wiring connector and 3 screws - then wiggle it out..

Mike :

Sometimes they get quite stuck and you need a pipe wrench or similer on the body to twist it out - it will twist - you wont damage anything.

Mike :

Is there anything else I can help with while we are in Live Chat?

Customer:

Does cleaning the valve normaly cure lack of power or is it best left off.

Mike :

they do get very gunked up... you need to clean the valve thoroughly - also - inspect it carefully - check the end of the valve - it should be blanked off with a circular plate. Sometimes that end plate comes off - ending up in the manifold - if you have a "hole" in the end of the Egr - thats whats happened and you have to strip the manifold off etc to get it out. Other than that - often a good clean will cure it - so long as its the gunge thats stopping it working. If its failed electrically, it is dead - and you have to either blank if off or replace it. Persoanlly on a turbo engine I recommend replace.. but some do blank them.

Mike :

Anything else just ask - or if we are done, just click the OK ratings to close us out.. ;)

Mike :

Customer:

Thanks for the help,will have a go tomorrow

Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert