Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Renault Grand Scenic 2011 - only owner - just out

Customer Question

I have a Renault Grand Scenic 2011 - only owner - just out of warranty - had it towed back to garage I bought it in - cost €250. They tell me that the clutch and clutch cylinder are gone - I had guessed the clutch but not the cylinder. hover I have been with the garage 3 times this year and a couple of times last year saying that I fund that the car was losing power very frequently - they put it down to a blocked filter - and told me to do long runs on motorways etc., which i always do. i have never had cloth problems before - i don't ride the clutch etc. the funny thing with this car is that i got a number of warning signals in the past saying fuel injection problem - do not drive the car and they told me to ignore it - when this happened last friday no lights came on at all and there was plumes of smoke from the exhaust and the engine started to smoke also. That is the background. Can I say that symptoms where demonstrated in the past that they should have picked up or do I have to cough up the money??? Thank you. ***** Ireland
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Cormac,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Shantal for getting back to me.

My car is in the garage and the mechanics say it is a clutch and clutch cylinder problem and both need to be repaired at a cost of over €1000. The car has in the last two years experience a fuel injection warning sign on the car and the message on the dashboard has been to stop driving immediately. When I contacted the garage they said that I could still drive and that they would deal with it when I got a chance to drop into the garage which is about 2hours drive from my home. Anyway they maintained it could be just city driving and that caused the filter to be blocked. The Renault manual sees the warning message as much more serious. I wonder myself if it is a turbo issue or an engine issue brought on by driving whilst this warning message was on my dashboard. So to cut to the chase Shantal I have no satisfactory answer yet and I will continue to wait if that is ok with you?

Best wishes,

Cormac

Hello Cormac,
Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information for the Professional. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shantal,

Does 'reverse my charges' mean that you will return the charge for asking this question back to my credit card??

Regards ***** ***** wishes,

Cormac

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cormac .

When you had the warning message come on did the dealer check for malfunction codes, If yes what where they, that would be of great help if you have this .

If you have an old diagnostic check list from the inspection with the codes on it and the date ,then we could prove something ??

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg!
They have the car and all my receipts in the manual case. They basically just said it was a fuel injection problem from not giving the car long runs. Which by the way is not true, as I have driven long distances in France twice and I drive on the motorways here in Ireland regularly. They said that when they hooked up the diagnostics (the computer) it gave no indication of what the problem was. I firmly believe they disabled that warning signal on July 19 and 20th when they had the car last.
Best wishes,
Cormac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg!
Best wishes,
Cormac
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Cormac .

What engine do you have fitted .

If you open the ignition switch to on but not start the check engine light should come ON then go off when the engine starets .does this car do this .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Again Greg they have the car - I know in the past the yellow light came on for a few seconds and then went off - I can't honestly say if I saw this in the last month or so. Tomorrow I am going to take a train to collect my car and they still have not told how much it will cost. It really is a pain. Thanks Greg for your help. It is a 1.5 Dci engine.

Best wishes,

Cormac

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Let me know when you get the car back home and then lets check the system .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg! Will do. I on the train now and to collect the car in the next hour or so. Then a***** I will contact you then. They are charging €1011!
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Wow ,

When you pick up the car please do the following before you pay and drive off.

Switch ignition switch to "ON" (do not start) the check engine light should be "ON"
then start the engine the check engine light should go "OFF"

If the light stays on when the engine is running the repair is not complete .

If the light does not come "ON" with the switch "ON" then the warning light has been riged up or you have a ECM issue .

So what should happen .

Switch ignition ON warning light will light up.Start engine warning light should go out .

Drive car warning light should stay off , by the time you get back home the light should not come on and the car should drive with out any issue .

Hope i got to you in time.

Greg