Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

my daughters Renault megane scenic wont read the card

Customer Question

Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

This is quite a common fault with these keycard reader systems - normally its either one or the two the keycard itself or the actual reader the card is slotted into - there is small little plastic arms/microswitch inside the reader and thus might not be activated properly when the card is pushed in hence the warning you get with it not seeing the card..sometimes you can hoover out the slot or you can with a small test by building the keycard up in thickness ie:- draw round the card with a very thin bit of card with an over lap or tab so it doesn't get stuck in reader then insert the key card & thin card along with it to make it a tighter fit into the slot - if that works a little better then you can pretty much assume the reader is at fault or needs taken out and checked further or stripped down and cleaned a little better or in most usual cases if the reader is at fault another may have to be installed these don't really need to be coded in if another is to be installed its usually just a case of aquiring another reader for your type of car and plug it in place of the old one - so as above if you have another keycard..give that try first or try the card trick - if its still the same then the readers likely your problem - if the second keycard works ok and or the card trick doesnt work with keycard..then the keycard you using now is likely at fault..and that would need to be either sent of for repair like here - http://www.keyrepair.co.uk/index.html or you need to aquire a new one via renault...I do hope this helps..If you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate..