Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a renault megane fidgi 1.4 16v. There is a smell of

Customer Question

I have a renault megane fidgi 1.4 16v.
There is a smell of burning oil coming from the negine.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Normally any engine oil type smell coming into cabin can be down a oil leak on the engine itself/pcv pipe "crank/engine breathers" - the best course of action would be to make careful checks around the engine itself for oil leaks or oil leaks around hot areas of the engine in particular around the exhaust manifold/down pipe..the first place that would be checked id say is the rocker cover and the gasket for any leaks..normally these are the most common areas to cause oil to leak out and hit the exhaust in turn burns off and filters into the cabin inside the car via the heaters..its really basically a carefull check for oil leaks on the engine itself would be the first port of call with a type of problem like you have and would never be the ignition coils unless the engine was missfiring/or had logged faults if the engine light was on..so as above if the mechanic your using doesnt know the engine which is very strange considering these engines have been about for quite sometime throughout the Renault range..It would your best interests to find someone who does...May give this site a go for a garage in your area www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk ...I do hope this helps