Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

my automatic gearbox warning light came on my renult grand

my automatic gearbox warning light came on my renult grand scenic year 11 plate could this be a major prolem or something fixabill with out having a new gearbox?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Depends on the nature of the fault the gearbox has - and at this intial stage it would be hard to say if its just something minor or serious problem in regards ***** ***** regulatory or pressure control solenoid/valve block problem.but without known what the tcm is seeing you basically guessing to be honest..these transmissions aren't uncommon for causing problems and it isn't uncommon too to have the whole transmission replaced due to extremely high cost involved srtipping down but like i say.without proper intervention of diagnostic machine you cant tell - the transmission warning light is coming on because the TCM - Transmission Control Module has detected a fault somewhere in the auto transmission electronic systems.as that how its controlled...It can however also come on due to condition of the fluid in the box or level has become low for what ever reason mostly due to and external leak from the gearbox itself or the torque converter..so ideally oil condition and level is one of the first places to check then all electrical connectors are secure and clean and to the wiring hasn't been damaged or chaffed etc..Oil change can solve alot of issues so certainly consider having that done anyway..then the next step is to hook up a capable diagnostic machine to the car and see wether the machine can pick up any faults or fault codes that the TCM is/has picked up..I do hope this helps

Robert, Renault Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK