Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Renault Scenic 2003 1.9DCI Clutch pedal gradually going flat

Customer Question

Renault Scenic 2003 1.9DCI Clutch pedal gradually going flat to the floor and unable to get into gear unless the clutch system is bled. Replaced clutch and slave 18 months ago and no problems till last month. There are no signs of leaks. Replaced master cylinder two weeks ago but this has not solved my problem. Car still requires bleeding about every 100 miles and even after bleed pedal is not fully returning to its up position. Totally baffled as there seems to be no lose of fluid
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

..there..i note your question hasnt been responded too...just wondered if you still required any help/advice etc?

If so..are both the slave/master genuine replacements?

What was the reason clutch/slave replacement 18mnths ago..the same issues or just clutch wear and tear?

In what way are you bleeding the system? with pressure bleeder or just using the clutch pedal to bleed it..is there alot of air in the line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Slave replaced 18mths ago along with clutch and flywheel after clutch failure, working one day then not at all the next. This time its different. Master Cylinder was brand new. Not too sure how the system was bled but will find out. Yes there is alot of air in the line

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

..there thanks reply..

Ok..if there is air in the line..then normally that means either the system isnt being bled properly or air is getting into the system/line somwhere..that why that happens or the pedal sinks...id say it would be best as a starting point anyway to check the fittings/connectors to the slave aswell as up at the master cylinder..they should i recall have small rubber o rings on the ends of the line..id certainly recheck those anyway and ensure they are fully home and seated properly..failing that probably fit another line between the slave and the master if required...but having said that i would pressure bleed it instead..rather then the long drawn method of pumping the clutch pedal..that way pressure bleeding can hopfully get all that air out... other than that you know yourself the system is fairly straight forward..takes the fluid from the brake reservior - to the master cylinder - the master cylinder under depressing the clutch sends fluid down the line to the slave cylinder which in turns releases the clutch...so as above givin that both those cylinders have been replaced..id maybe make further inspections on the line itself/connectors to both cylinders..unless your in the unlucky position of having the slave at fault/allowing air into the system....I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate