Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Renault Clio wont start. key unlocks doors fine and all lights

Renault Clio wont start. key unlocks doors fine and all lights on dashboard come on but absolutely nothing from the engine. red immobiliser light is on . i only ever had one key with car so top try otherkey not an option . mechanic looked at it said has been immobilised ......anything i can do to get it started short term and sort problem long term thanks
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

It wont be anything to do with the battery in the key..as all that does is provide power to the circuit board in regards ***** ***** central locking - there is transponder chip within the key..when it its inserted into the ignition the reader coil around the ignition barrel picks up on the transponder chip and thus this is what shuts the immobiliser down for you to start the car...in theory there isnt much you can do if you only have one key..as another key may of proved otherwise if that keys lost sync,transponder faulty somehow..the only way round it is to find a local automotive locksmith to check that or maybe someone locally with diagnostic tech to check if the key is recognised by the car or not..normally they need renault clip diagnostics to get a full picture of whats going wrong to be able to move further on this..i suspect it could be key fault as normally thats the most common and would require replacement..

Robert, Renault Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK