Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

My Clio 1,5dci 2007 is hard to start. It will crank

Customer Question

My Clio 1,5dci 2007 is hard to start. It will crank for many seconds before it will start even if it is 20 degrees celsius outide. When it starts it runs perfect. If I turn it of and start it again directly it will start much faster. Can it be something with the diesel pressure/valves/pump?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shantal, I still need an answer on my question.

Hello Mats,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialities differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..My name is***** happy to help / advise.Sorry to see you have had a wait.Could you please give me the Full reg of the car.Plus - what its mileage / service history?Have you had any actual diagnostic tests / checks done at all - if so, with what results?--Rgds, MIKE................................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a Clio 2007 1,5 dci 68 horsepower. About 71200 miles. No diagnosics are made so far.As mentioned Before glow plugs and relay are new.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again -
Thank you for your reply and info.
I did note the glow plugs had been done and the GP relay... As you say, that wasn't likely to have been the issue anyway.
What you are describing is most likely an injector problem - these should be checked / tested first -next now anyway.
What happens is that even if you have only one of the injectors worn, it can't build the pressure up thats needed for the engine to start when it should - the Ecu ( computer ) on the car needs to see the specified fuel pressure -else it won't let it start the engine.
So there is a proper test kit to do this test - most garages have them - but I would suggest to use a local Diesel Specialist if you have one - they are fully au fait with these issues and often works out cheaper.
This test too will ID any other issues with fuel pressure that can be caused by other things in the system to pressure sensor and pump etc.
So that is the next step on this one now to get this sorted out for you -
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out.
-- Best Rgds, MIKE.