Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Car wont drive in first but fine in all other gears changing

Customer Question

car wont drive in first but fine in all other gears changing up and down it's a automatic box
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help... Sorry to see you have had a wait.
-- Please let me know if you do still need help with this - then we can carry on from here if so.
Please tell me , if you do still need help, the FULL details of the car ( a full reg would be good also )... to inc the cars mileage...and what is its service history like - ie, when was the last service done..etc ?
Also - do you have any fault / warning lights come on at all?
Please also tell me the results of any checks / tests ..done since perhaps asking your question -
When I receive your reply - I will get back to you asap thereafter -
Kind Rgds, MIKE........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike

The car is a renault grand scenic 2.0 16v 54 plate (jan 05) it's done

120000 miles it was last service in november 14 there are no warning lights or service lights coming up on the dash it perfectly ok in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears being to two garages they say it the gearbox had quotes of

£1450 & £1600 .

regards

kevin

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again - Thank you for your reply and info.. sorry I wasn't on last eve when you replied.With this issue - if it was an electronic fault - given its year, you would normally expect a fault light to come on - so it does sound like , at least at this stage, a mechanical fault inside the box. But.. dont delve straight into that...sometimes the faults don't put the fault light on - it can be a fault in itself.. So the first thing to do is to have a plug in fault code read done... This connects to the TCM - Transmission computer ( not engine )..and will scan the module for faults.. giving any relelvant fault codes that may be there - indicating where the fault is. I suggest this because even though I said as above - mechanical faults will normally log a code as well - so given the expense involved and the risk of getting the diagnosis completely wrong, I would suggest to have the fault codes done first. A lot of garages dont have the equipment for this - they have for engine - but not transmision ..so before using a garage double check they use the right equipment. Id be tempted to suggest a Renault dealer really at least to have that test done - then go from there.If it then comes down to "large" mechanical work, - a fault inside the trans.. you are really very best advised to look up and take the car to a Auto Transmission specialist - they have the knowledge and the equipment to repair rather than replace the whole transmission - usually costing far less than a replacement job.So thats the way forward on this one now Kevin - the best / quickest and most cost effective way for you to get this sorted for you.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out.-- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello mike

sorry i haven't got back to you sooner, mike would you know how much a

TCM test would cost at a renault dealer.

Kevin

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Kevin - thats fine thank you -and thank you for the rating.-- Usually, its around the 50£ mark...but, it does depend to a great extent where you are - for example- down south - ( as opposed to north ) its always more expensive... I would honestly get a quote - give them a call tell them what you want doing, and get them to quote you - that way there are no nasty suprises.I would say though - unless its anything simple, once you have your results, a local Auto Transmission specialist would vbe the cheaper way to repair the issue... You could even look one of those up first - see if they have the equipment to run the Tcm test - or they may suggest another approach... Im just tryng to suggest the best way for you -Let me know how it goes - Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi mike
I took the car into Renault Watford for a diagnostics test and they confirmed that there is a Internal Problem with the gearbox and it would cost £3500 to fix . I was quiet surprised and shocked with that because
1: I no there a internal problem with the gearbox but thought the £59.00 I paid might have pinpointed the exact problem and
2: £3500 to fix that a hell of a lot of money to charge , so I think there is only one option left and that is to scrap the car which is a awful shame as I've said before the box is perfectly ok in all the other gears but I don't think I've much Choice now what do you think?
Kevin