Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My 54 Plate Scenic has failed it's MOT on Parking Brake problem.

My 54 Plate Scenic has failed it's MOT on Parking Brake problem. It apparently needs a new mechanism and programming, which only Renault Dealers can do. My local dealer is quoting £600.00 plus VAT. Is this really true?
Fred Middlebrook
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Its certainly sounds about right sadly - these units arent the cheapest to buy to be honest coming in at around £400-£450 mark.plus the fitting and the calibration and initiallisation of the module has to be carried out and has to be done right,there no room for messing up on these units.. That why using specific renault daignostic.renault clip for example is the only way forward..there is alot that has to be carried out the ensure the EPB is properly programmed including INITIALISING A NEW PARKING BRAKE / SLOPE INITIALISATION / INITIALISING ASSISTED BRAKING / CLUTCH DATA BACKUP,DATA ENTRY etc.. and most of this needs to carried out with the car on a horizontal surface...Its alot to get over and you hear quite alot of garage's simply prefering to direct customers to Renault for these to ensure that EPB operates as it should do..so its not overly suprising to read your MOT,Garage has mentioned that Renault would be the best option to do this...I do hope this helps

Robert, Renault Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK