Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a Renault Megane automatic 2007 plate. a year

I have a Renault Megane automatic 2007 plate. For over a year now my car has had the same intermittent fault. On acceleration my car falters and slows down. When I press the accelerator it then zooms away. I have been to an auto electrical technician but he couldn't find any fault. This cost me £130. I have been told that I have to wait until a light comes on until they know what is causing the problem. One evening the light came on temporarily but when I took it to the garage I was told that it has to come on and stay on. The advice I was given was to trade it in and let ***** ***** deal with it. I am a widow and my car has only done 23,000 miles. I don't really want to get rid of it as otherwise, it's great. However I am apprehensive as I feel it is dangerous when my car suddenly slows and there is a car behind me. I was just wondering if you have had any experience of this fault and would be able to help me.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is***** happy to help -
If you are not getting the fault light on - staying on as you mention, the car wont log a fault code to trace the fault.
Really - any fault like this will only manifest itself by getting worse - hence the light will come on -and stay on enabling you to get it fault code read and go from there... and really, that is the way forward.
But I do understand your reticence to do that -- What I can say to you is that on this model, they have what is called a TPS which is a throttle position sensor - and this is all part and parcel of the throttle pedal. Often these do play up and will cause the issues you describe. So - if you did not want to wait for the light to come on / for it to get worse and wanted to have a go at curing it now, then I would suggest two things..
First - have the TB - throttle body fully cleaned out... they get gunked up inside with carbon etc - and this can cause the problems you have described.
This should be done on services really but rarely gets done.. so I suggest have that done first AND have them renew the fuel filter .... Then try it , see how it goes then.
Have that done BEFORE the TP as above... but if that fails to improve it - you would then need to have the TP changed.
Working as above is the cheapest way forward - it should only cost you an hours labour to have the fuel filter changed and the TP cleaned. You just need to ensure you use a garage / mechanic that you can trust to carry that out as above properly to ensure its done for you.
Working as above, one way or the other should cure this for you.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~>>>>>>~ Meanwhile - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..
Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -
- Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. I went into my local garage today and the car is going in on Monday. They are going to have a look at the throttle and if possible change the fuel filter. The mechanic thought the fuel filter may be in the tank so this may not be possible.
I will let you know how It gets on.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply Aileen -
By all means let me know how you go or if you need anything more at all..
Kind Rgds, MIKE.