Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have wiped or reset my mpg/spedo/fuel reader whaen cleaning

Customer Question

i have wiped or reset my mpg/spedo/fuel reader whaen cleaning my car pressed the stork and button on dashbord all are readin nil when i drive mpg/fuel starts to climb but when stop they go down how do i get them back please
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
It sounds like the action has confused the computer..
The best way in that case is to re set / reboot the computer that controls that circuit..
This involves disconnecting the car battery for a time and re connecnting - but let me know if you need more info on that. Try it first - just doing that but if that doesn't do it, I can give you a fuller procedure.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi mike just done what you said disconneterd the battery for 20 mins plus

put it back on started the car the mpg mph and all the things on the trip comperter are all the same blank going to take it for a run to see if it all goes up and when i stop see if it starts to fall for expamle fuel left till next stop 215 then it will drop 214 213 212 within a min or two

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
i did as the guy said to do and still have the same problem not happy with the service at all
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -
This is MIKE..
I am sorry, Im afraid I was off ill for a few days... then, you re listed your question which Im afraid caused a longer delay as it removed it from my watching list. Of course you were not to know that but Im just explaining whats happened.
Now - I did say to you at the outset that if disconnecting and re booting didn't work, I would give you a fuller procedure, which of course, Im still happy to do it you want that - Just let me know by way of a reply here if you do. If that doesn't work, it will require plug in diagnostics to be done at the dealer but you could try that first. Often these procedures do work, but you have to know that sometimes its unavoidable but to have to resort to diagnostics / electronic resets etc - more and more so on post 2000 vehicles..
Let me know though what you wish to do / if you want to try that first.
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi mike yes trip competur still playing up

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again - Thank you for your response.Ok - lets try the full reset / reboot procedure - as I say, its always worth a try -You need to do as per the following...exactly as stated... Note - whenever the car battery has to be disconnected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the drivers window open. Remove key from vehicle - and disconnect any diagnostic equipment you might have connected.Wait a full 5 minutes before disconnecting the battery. -- Basically this is to allow time for the modules to go to SLEEP / off. While waiting, do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time...not even opening the bonnet / boot / glove box etc... as this will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm. NOTE - if the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up. ( general instruction) PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION Unless otherwise instructed by Renault or tech service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimize the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply. Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the drivers window left down. 1 Close all doors 2 Remove ignition key from vehicle.3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors 4 Wait 10 seconds 5 Switch on headlights through the driver’s window 6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions.-- Now see if on start up/ run all is ok again.. If not -then you will have to have it connected up as Ive mentioned before to have the system ether diagnosed as faulty - then repaired , or reset with the equipment ( resetting parameters etc )I hope that works for you ... but again, if not, you will need to do as I have said to cure the issue.Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did what you said to the tee all that happened was it all went blank been on a rive it all seems to have sellted down mpg how much fuel left