Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My son has a Clio 2002 1,2 16v. Looses power at lover revs

Customer Question

My son has a Clio 2002 1,2 16v. Looses power at lover revs than 2500 rpm. the toxic fume light is on, and sometimes flashes. We have changed the coil,leads,plygs and the lambda. What can be the cause ?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..

What testing/codes did you get before you replaced all those components?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We checked the info on the internet, and bought the most likely parts. Cheaper than to go to the Renault garage.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

Well i dont really agree with the road you've gone down as per just buying parts and hope for the best - You dont have to go near any Dealer Renault garage? for an 02 plate clio im sure pretty much any garage with correct equipment and know how could highlight or at least retrive those fault codes for you..albeit even if you buy a standard code reader may help yourself..than spend anymore money on parts you didnt require - The Clio 1.2 16v has actually 2 lambda sensors one before and after cat converter..it doesn't mean to say those are at fault or one of them is but the fault may lay with the cat converter itself,its not a cheap part to be honest..you'll only know that by actually testing to see if the cats faulty..and what the lambda sensor parameter's readings at both sides of the cat are when on live data/scope testing... The toxic fume indicator is generic warning that the ecu/ emissions monitoring side is picking up on an imbalance air/fuel mixture caused by any number of faults the causes are endless - from faulty ignition system / injectors / intake system leaks ,bad air mass,map flow sensor / vaccum system faults / EVAP system leaks / even small leaks on the exhaust system around the cat converter/lambda sensor can cause that too /or as you have replaced fault lambda sensor....You really do need to get proper testing done to be honest,that would be my best advice to you..its always routine with any garage or myself in my garage faced with an issue like you have to see exactly what sort of issue you have to cause the emission montioring side to flag up..