Mike
Mike, Renault Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have just brought an '08' Renault master Lo loader

I have just brought an '08' Renault master Lo loader 2 weeks ago, (It came not as described), the gearbox is noisy in 6th gear and the bodywork is in less than acceptable condition.
I was driving the vehicle to get some quotes for the cost of the work.I have not owned a Renault van before and the van did not come with a user manual / service book for reference.
I parked the van in a car park, I got out and used the key fob to lock the doors but for some reason I needed reassurance that the doors had locked properly so I activated it several times. I MAY have used the key fob to lock the doors whilst still sat in the cab and therefore I MAY have triggered the alarm, is there a sequence for resetting the alarm? I'm reluctant to jump to the conclusion the immobiliser has suddenly gone faulty!
I think it is more likely, I have caused an issue!
Category: Renault
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help -
If you have an immobilser issue- when you try to start it, you will have no crank -and a light on the dash to tell you its immobilised.
It doesn't sound like thats the fault given what you have said - and if thats the case - no resetting of the system is needed or will help.
What I suggest you need to do is check / test for current to the starter motor at the time the engine is trying to be started ..ie, in crank mode.
So you need a tester on the SMALL connector on the starter - test when the key is on the start position ( or button pressed to start if you have that type )... you should see battery voltage of at least 12v on that test -
If you don't - you have a fault / break in the ign circuit.. you will need then to test that through -
If you do.. and the starter is not actuating - check its tight on its mountings - as that acts as an earth.. and check the earths and battery connnectors for integrity.
If all is well - then the starter motor itself is your suspect - it will need to be removed for test / replacement.
Working through as above you should get that sorted.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Morning Mike,
Thanks for coming back to me. I feel sure the fault is not connected to the starter motor but of course I will test this. Initially the engine was turning over every time quite strongly but not firing up, it is only since I was playing around with the key fob and internal c/locking button holding it down with the ignition on (either getting one or two beeps depending on whether I was locking or unlocking), that it would not turn over at all however, now and again if I kept playing with the button it would turn over but still not fire up. I think that when I put the key in and turn on the ignition lights the Immobiliser light goes out with the rest of the check lights after around 3 seconds.
The battery is now low because of the amount of times I have been trying to crank it over.
The reason for urgency is because of the length of the vehicle over hanging the parking bay which is causing an issue for other drivers trying to turn a corner to get past. I joined the AA yesterday but they refuse to help with this fault because it pre existed.
My Background; My knowledge is with the older engines with distributors coils etc. I can strip and rebuild these engines, I worked in recovery as an agent for the AA for two years but gave up mechanics when they started bringing in computer managed components so I'm still an amateur but I am a bit more than a novice.
I'm about to go back over with jump leads and give it another go, do you have any other suggestions?