Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My car is over heating all the time Ive hard the head gasit

Customer Question

my car is over heating all the time Ive hard the head gasit check nothing wrong had the radiator checked no problems all hoses fine but its drinking reserve and radiator at least once a week can you think of what it could be?
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'. If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar) The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html Also I’ve known a tiny leak from the heater matrix to be emitted as steam in the same way as a pinhole on the radiator so you can check the surface of the matrix for dampness and if you do find it then either replace the part or try one of the coolant sealing products – this one is particularly good http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.