Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Heater has gone. Is it expensive to replace

Customer Question

heater has gone. Is it expensive to replace
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think I paid 20 euro. You can get back to me with an answer at your nearest convenience.
Regards ***** ***** you.
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello you don't mention what car make or model this is ? but typically if you need to replace a leaking heater matrix then expect to pay abotu £50-100 in parts plus about 3 - 5 hours labour charge but equally this could be a number of other things so if you get back to me I can provide a more accurate quote
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Renault scenic 07 model 5 seater. Thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
hello Very first thing to do is ensure the coolant level is up to the mark and if low top it up with the correct antifreeze or pre-mixed coolant as stated in the owners manualI'd then check that the engine is getting up to temperature, if its not then its likely the thermostat needs changing.If this is OK have a feel of the two coolant pipes that pass into the car through the engine bay bulkhead, both should be warm with a warm engine. If they're not then its likely the heater matrix is blocked and you should do a reverse flush on the cooling system to try and clean it out. This is done by removing the top hose from the radiator and placing a garden hose into the engine water outlet, and then run the hose until you get clean water coming out of the radiator.If this doesn't help this only leaves checking out the motor / cable that moves the air mixing flap that allows the hot air from the matrix to enter the car air system. This flap isc ontrolled by the temperature knob / dial etc and I think is controlled with a small motor for your car so the thingto do is first get access to the back of the control knob and measure the voltages is present there, then trace the wiring back into the dash from the control to locate the motor. It’s worth firstchecking the fuses for the fan / control circuit I'd recommendfirst removing the glovebox ( undo lower edge hinges from dash) to gain accessto the dashboard inner and also allow you to shine a torch to the back of thecentral console so you can start tracing the wire back and see how things areput together
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.