Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Traffic van 2006 when at high revs under load say going up

Customer Question

traffic van 2006
when at high revs under load say going up on ramp of motorway or over 75 mph engine management light comes on and turbo turns off, but keeps driving.
does not happen if you just rev engine with no load.
switch ignition off then back on again problem is gone but comes back every time load is applied at highish revs. even into wind at say 70 mph.
drives no problem round town.
may have started just after ran out of diesel 1 time. don't know if related problem
Category: Renault
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
got to email part says error used by someone else?
will I get my answer or has this not worked?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i may have to cancel payment if problem not resolved.
ok it says reviewing question and may take a day, but I'm not sure if question got through because of email error, will i get an answer later or do i have to start again?
can you confirm either way pls
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello Ideally if you could get a diagnostic device plugged into the van to pull off the fault code then this would greatly speed up the repairs, what I'd suggest is also doing some basic mechanical checks:1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you