Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a renault master 55 plate diesel. it cut out whilst

Customer Question

i have a renault master 55 plate diesel.
it cut out whilst at idle - will turn over but wont start.
Category: Renault
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello I'd check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.It may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint