Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Renault megane; the fuel hand primer bulbkeeps collapsing causing

Customer Question

renault megane; the fuel hand primer bulbkeeps collapsing causing fuel starvation
Category: Renault
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st consider fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.It may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem has been solved---- Partial blockage discovered in the fuel line from tank, restricting fuel supply
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
glad you got it sorted if you could rate my work appropriately please
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.