Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Car runs but like on 2 or 3 cylinders. Some linking won't

Customer Question

Car runs but like on 2 or 3 cylinders. Some linking won't tick over needs acceleration. When it starts high review without foot on accelerator. Starts first time?
Category: Renault
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry pinking not Linking. Revs not review. Also brakes don't work.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Matt. This is the first time I have read your answer. I lost you ,my email stoped working!
I got the car running though. It was the ignition coil! It caused a small explosion under the air filter and let air escape so the breaks didn't work.put a new ignition coil in and sorted out the air filter and she is running like a dream now.
So your answer wasn't much use to me this time! But 6thanks for being there.
I will use you again with solicitors work. Thanks Mike!!!ll
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me know

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?