Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

How do you manually close the roof on a renault megane

Customer Question

how do you manually close the roof on a renault megane convertible 2006
Category: Renault
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

try this

With the hood released using the handle near the rear view mirror

Release the hood cover using the nylon strap in the boot and lift the cover and push the locking mechanism back to it's home position (as far down as it will go)

use the hood power switch (centre console) to move the hood to the fully down position and pull the nylon strap (in the boot) whilst pressing the hood cover down (locking it into position).

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

if that doesn't work then

follow the following :

Release hydraulics on hood cover by undoing the small tap located in the boot under left hand carpet in boot.

Pull manual release for boot cover – located in the boot area rear seat compartment

With the hood nearly closed but with the back window in the up -and the hood cover opened – by hand, remove the two nuts that hold the rear seat onto the rear bulkhead
.
Now use a TORX driver to remove the four screws that hold the hood release mechanism onto the rear bulkhead.

There is no need to disconnect any cables - you just remove from the cable clips.

The release mechanism can now be seen - Look to re-engage the " cam" that the emergency release cable is attached to into the metal arm that is driven from the worm gear on the motor.

You might have to engage small micro switches on the mechanism to get the worm gear to operate ( BE very careful - by holding the switches on while operating the hood from inside the cab - again... as before, you need a helper .

Operate the hood only for short 1-second bursts until the worm gear allows the cam to drop easily back into place...and that then should re set all... retry the roof.

All above whole time consuming is not too bad to do - but if you are hesitant / unsure - do be careful - you dont want to make it worse ..

I can tell you that worse case scenario is that its a control module fault- - and repair costs for those dependent on exact type range between 450 and 950 £...

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you