Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

The engine is overheating and just lost gears in automatic.

the engine is overheating and just lost gears in automatic. Turned engine off and then restarted and gears were back
Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: there doesn't appear to be a leak and I have kept up with coolant it just seems to evaporate, even when I have only travelled a short distance I have 5 bars of heat
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: 55
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have put into the coolant a substance steel seal
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It also sometimes have the warning message of injectors and check esp
Category: Renault
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi..there..

Which model of Renault is this? also engine does it have?

How do you mean lost gears..you mean you lost all forward and reverse gears at the same time? is there any warnings on the dash when this happens?

How often are you topping up coolant?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
renault grand espace privledge DCI 2.2 yes couldn't go forward or backward but pulled off using manual gears until it got up to speed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
topping up with coolant daily but not vast amounts
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Ok..thanks for your reply..

Well you shouldnt have to fill up on a daily bases..unless you have leak on the system or the expansion tnak cap is faulty..you may want to inspect the cap,seal to ensure its sealing properly..having said that the engine overheating normally doesnt effect the gearbox operation..but..the gearbox does have coolant hoses leading to it for oil cooler purposes..the gearbox has its own oil cooler and coolant circulates within that and back to main radiator to ensure the oil in the gearbox is kep cool to certain degree..I think the obvious tests here id say would be to get the coolant system pressure tested properly..to see if the system holds pressure or not..if it doesnt then you obviously have a leak somewhere on the coolant system..and the pressure test should help find that if the leak is an external one..i would also as a precaution find out what the gearbox oil is like..this is to ensure the cooler itself hasnt failed maybe allowing coolent to enter the gearbox and that can effect the running operation of it and could lead to damage..so its vital that any garage you take this too 100% verfiys that no coolant is seeping into the gearbox via a fault oil cooler..Unless you have any fault codes to help a litle bit further as far as the gearbox tcm is or even the ecm is concerned..then id advise the steps above being you next step forward from here..hope this helps