dublinbl
dublinbl, Lawyer
Experience:  BCL, LLM, Barrister-at-Law
46278383

My sister died intestate Oct 2011 and my widowed father became

Customer Question

My sister died intestate Oct 2011 and my widowed father became the sole beneficiary of her estate. He needs now to calculate inheritance tax. In 2012 some funds were paid to my father but the estate was not finalised until mid 2013 (property assignment/ mortgage etc) To calculate the inheritance tax I need to establish the group threshold rate. I think it ought be the higher Group A as my father got an absolute interest in her estate. Is this correct. Also I am not sure if in such cases the date of death is deemed to be the date of inheritance ie the date my father became beneficially entitled? Or is the date the inheritance is taken the date the solicitor secured the property and bank & loan accounts etc in my fathers name?
Category: Republic of Ireland Tax
Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends. 
What would you like to achieve here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to determine which date is deemed to be the date of inheritance i.e. the date my father became beneficially entitled to the estate with a view to calculating the correct inheritance tax amount. I need to confirm (1) whether I am correct to use the Group A threshold (as he got an absolute interest) & (2) the date he became legally beneficially entitled