Hank F.
Hank F., RV Mechanic
Experience:  RV technician. Emphasis on gensets. Certified on both Onan and Generac.
19372534

I have just bought a Tabbert caravan. It has only a microwave

Customer Question

I have just bought a Tabbert caravan. It has only a microwave in it. Can I get an oven fitted instead, and where do I get one from? Also, I need a new fridge for it but don't necessarily need to run it on gas, so can I buy a normal fridge, if it fits, to put in instead?
Thanking you,
Jo XX
Category: RV
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo,

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is Hank, and I am going to assist you with this.

I'm really sorry you had to wait so long for an answer.

Please bear in mind that I am in the US, and our laws are different than yours.

Let's start with the easy one first - the refrigerator.
Yes, you can take your refrigerator out and put a regular one in - people do this all the time. I have seen everything from small 2 cu.ft dorm-type refrigerators, all the way up to 20 cu.ft monster-size refrigerators put in RV's.
The drawback is having a power source. With a regular refrigerator, you must be somewhere you can plug in all the time - there will be no boondocking, unless you have a large enough genset to bring with you.
If any rewiring needs to be done to accomodate the refrigerator, your laws may require you to hire an electrician. You need to check into that.
Also, when disconnecting the existine LP line, it will need to be properly capped off. I am not sure if your laws allow you to do this yourself or not.

Now for the oven (I am assuming you mean an actual oven, and not a cooktop). This is going to be a very difficult one, without being able to see the unit.
First, it must be verified that there will be room to physically fit one in. This may require some carpentry modifications, both for fit and strength.
Depending on how your unit is set up, this may also require some reworking of the gas system. Your laws may require this to be done by a licensed technician (plumber, mecahnical contractor, or RV tech in the US).
Provisions must also be made for proper ventilation. Remember, gas appliances produce carbon monoxide, so ventilation is tatamount.
If not already installed, you will probably need a CO detector.

I hope this helps. If you need any further information, please feel free to reply to me. My goal is your satisfaction.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.
Was this what you were wanting to know?
.