Hank F.
Hank F., RV Mechanic
Experience:  RV technician. Emphasis on gensets. Certified on both Onan and Generac.
19372534

Hi I have a coachmen 34bh 2008 with a guardsman generator.

Customer Question

Hi I have a coachmen 34bh 2008 with a guardsman generator. The generator will not start the light on the start switch flashes 7 times which signifies alternator under speed.

Can I reset this or what is the problem?

It won't event attempt to turn over?

Adam
Category: RV
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is Hank, and I am going to assist you with this.

I am assuming that this genset is actually a Guardian, made by Generac?
If so, what are the model and serial numbers of the genset?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that is correct. It's a guardian 6500 watts the engine number is 0g768201189 engine family 8gnxs 5302gc

Thanks in advance for your help.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, those aren't the numbers I need.
On the genset is a sticker that lists the Item number (model number), Serial number, and voltage ratings.
I need the Item and Serial numbers, so I know exactly which unit this is.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'm not with the rv but a fiend is. We can not see any further information. We can however confirm the generator is giving a warning light on the starter switch which flashes 7 times. When we look in the manual it confirms the fault refers to alternator under speed!

I really don't know what that means and if that protection system can be "reset" with a procedure to clear fault codes? To enable the generator to attempt to turn over
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
You will not be able to clear the codes.
But even having a code will not prevent the genset from starting. It will continue to shut down, but it will start.

But I need to know the model and serial number of the genset to give you any specific troubleshooting procedures.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry but we just cant seem to find any serial numbers on the generator. but the most alarming thing is that the generator is not even trying to turn over. Is their a low valuts warning that prevents the starter trying to turn over if the battery is low?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Low voltage will not allow the engine to crank, but you should still be hearing the starter solenoid engage.

Have you looked inside for the serial number sticker?
.